If you are not registered or logged in, you may still use these forums but with limited features. Show recent topics
  [Search] Search   [Hottest Topics] Hottest Topics   [Members]  Member Listing   [FAQ]  FAQ 
[Register] Register / 
[Login] Login 
Simple question: Can 2 php scripts share a MySQL database?  XML
Forum Index » Support Forum
Anonymous

I'm new to all this, and have a simple question:

My host only provide one MySQL database, and I'm already using it to run a phpbb forum. I'd love to use the Advanced Poll too, but this also needs MySQL. Could it share the same one I use for phpbb? If so, is there anything special I need to do?

Cheers!
JTD
Graduate

To answer your ? yes it can be done. That much I know. How it is done I have no clue.

LINK-> Use Lazarus Guestbook
[WWW] [Yahoo!] aim icon [MSN]
Jared
Student

Yes, you can run all your databases out of the same single database. You can either add them mannually or automatically. Tables will have to be unique. Very doubtfull that you will have some that are the same.
[WWW] [Yahoo!] [MSN]
Anonymous

Thanks for your replies Jared and JTD.

Do you/anyone know if I just install Advanced Poll from the install.php, will that automatically add the necessary tables to my database?

I'm guessing it would be a good idea to Backup my phpbb database first (which I have done). Can I just restore it from the backup if anything goes wrong?

Cheers!
Auron
Expert
[Avatar]

when installing adv. poll set the db name to your phpbb db name.
no tables will be overwritten if all you phpbb tables have a prefix (default phpbb_, set during phpbb installation).

- Auron

Visit my site @ www.ragnaru.com
Adv. Poll Install Guide NOW BACK ONLINE! (And also rather out of date I would of thought)
[Email] [WWW]
Anonymous

Thanks again for your advice.

I just went ahead and install Advanced Poll with the default settings, and it inserted a new table in the mySQL database. All seems OK. Nice and Easy!

Cheers

Forum Index » Support Forum
Go to:   
Based on the open source JForum