If you are not registered or logged in, you may still use these forums but with limited features. Show recent topics
  [Search] Search   [Hottest Topics] Hottest Topics   [Members]  Member Listing   [FAQ]  FAQ 
[Register] Register / 
[Login] Login 
Antispam measure for Advanced Guestbook  XML
Forum Index » General Discussion
Carbonize
Master
[Avatar]

If you mean rel="nofollow" then it is something to be added to the guestbooks code. If you mean for controlling search engine robots access to your site do a search on google for robot.txt.

Carbonize
I am not the maker of the Advanced Guestbook

get Lazarus
[Email] [WWW] [Yahoo!] aim icon [MSN] [ICQ]
ET
Graduate

bSeen wrote:I'm new to php, and not too savy about the html anyway so I'm left with the question: would I need to exclude robots by entering that code in every file or just some, maybe the url.php file? Thanx,

If you are trying to keep the Search Engine robots, (i.e. Google, MSN, Yahoo...) out of your guestbook, you would put the Metatag information with the no follow, no index into the header.php at the very top (directly after <html> and <head> tags)

Again, as pointed out repeatedly, this will not keep out spammer bots - it will only help to make your guestbook not show up in the search engine directories.

---------------
Auron
Expert
[Avatar]

ET wrote:
Again, as pointed out repeatedly, this will not keep out spammer bots - it will only help to make your guestbook not show up in the search engine directories.

so that spammers are LESS LIKELY to find your guestbook using a search engine.

Visit my site @ www.ragnaru.com
Adv. Poll Install Guide NOW BACK ONLINE! (And also rather out of date I would of thought)
[Email] [WWW]
ET
Graduate

Auron wrote:
so that spammers are LESS LIKELY to find your guestbook using a search engine.

Yep!

---------------
lloyd_borrett
Beginner
[Avatar]

I think ET might have missed something.

Using rel="nofollow" on links means that those links won't be followed, indexed and used to calculate rankings by the search engines. It will have NO effect on the search engine indexing and ranking of your web site and your site content.

Sure it won't stop spam entries. But it will help to prevent spam entries from ranking highly in search engines. And that is a good thing.

Best Regards, Lloyd.
[Email] [WWW] [Yahoo!] [MSN]
Carbonize
Master
[Avatar]

Lloyd what ET means, and this is something I once did, is that spammers use Google to find sites using advanced guestbook to add to their list of sites to send the spam to and so stopping it listing your guestbook may help prevent spam. To be honest I see no reason why you would want your guestbook listed as it does not contain information relevant to your site but ratehr just peoples comments about your site.

Carbonize
I am not the maker of the Advanced Guestbook

get Lazarus
[Email] [WWW] [Yahoo!] aim icon [MSN] [ICQ]
ET
Graduate

lloyd_borrett wrote:I think ET might have missed something.

I don't think I missed a thing....

bSeen wrote:I'm new to php, and not too savy about the html anyway so I'm left with the question: would I need to exclude robots by entering that code in every file or just some, maybe the url.php file? Thanx,

Which I interpreted was in response to

lloyd_borrett wrote:
Using the META tag

or equivalent robots.txt file entries means the search engines will not index or follow EVERY link on the web page. That's not something I would want to happen with my guestbook pages.

Using the rel="nofollow" option on individual links on web pages means that the search engines are being told not to follow and rank the subject of those specific links.

These are two very different outcomes.

Sure the rel="nofollow" won't stop spam entries getting into my guestbook, but it will help to make those spam entries less beneficial to the spamers. And anything to hinder spamers, in my book, is beneficial.

I'm well aware that rel="nofollow" does not exclude robots - Bseen's post seemed to ask about Excluding Robots and that is what I responded to as it was included in my post and is what bseen SEEMED to have asked about.... LOL OR At least that's what I think bseen asked about - but this thread has gotten so convoluted - I may be confused as to why I even bothered to respond....

But if you choose to read back through my earlier posts in this thread, I think you might see that I comprehend the differences and what they do.... Or not....

---------------

Forum Index » General Discussion
Go to:   
Based on the open source JForum