If you are not registered or logged in, you may still use these forums but with limited features. Show recent topics
  [Search] Search   [Hottest Topics] Hottest Topics   [Members]  Member Listing   [FAQ]  FAQ 
[Register] Register / 
[Login] Login 
PATCHES FOR KNOWN EXPLOITS IN ADVANCED GUESTBOOK  XML
Forum Index » Support Forum
yonnermark
Beginner

i made the 2nd and 3rd changes just in case
There's no point me chaning the 1st is there as I have 2.3.1

thanks
mark
Anonymous

Is there a "final" or complete post with the changes for upgrade of
Advanced Guestbook 2.2 to 2.3.2?
And shouldn't this be an easy Cpanel upgrade instead of altering code?
Thanks.
Carbonize
Master
[Avatar]

If you redownload the files from this site then all exploits, except the possible useragent one.

Carbonize
I am not the maker of the Advanced Guestbook

get Lazarus
[Email] [WWW] [Yahoo!] aim icon [MSN] [ICQ]
Anonymous

If there are so many fixes available, why haven't they been implemented in the official release? Is Advanced Guestbook a dead project now?

Anyone care to make a .zip/.tar available of all the files, fixed, so we can easily upgrade our installations without having to make so many edits?
Carbonize
Master
[Avatar]

The only major exploit is the SQL injection exploit in 2.2 that lets you log in to the admin section. This does not exist in 2.3.1 which is the current version. The Cross Site Scripting exploit in 2.3.1 does exist but requires skill to implement and the people that deface guestbooks using the SQL injection are not real hackers but children who found the exploit on a web page. The cross site scripting exploit was silently patched in December by Chi Kien Uong. Why silently? don't ask me. Advanced Guestbook 2.3.1 has been around for atleast two years now without any sign of an update (except the silent one). I have been working on a project I call The db Guestbook which, at present, is Advanced Guestbook 2.3.1 with a lot of code changes etc. There is a more complete list of changes in the General Discussion forum.

Recently, when I have been bored and going around fixing defaced guestbooks, I have been emailing the webmasters telling them to come here or my forums and fix their guestbooks. A few days ao I started thinking that maybe I should just email them the fixed files to patch the login exploit, XSS exploit and to implement my simple spam filter.

Problem with that is some people get paranoid about strange emails. I know in one case the person posted my email on the Page-Zone Hosting forum asking how I had found their guestbook and if they really had been hacked.

A lot of people seem to have just installed the guestbook and then left it, I don't even think they read it.

Carbonize

get Lazarus
Anonymous

Just thought you might be interested in this. Lots of interesting information on how sites are XSS hacked and cookies are being stolen.

http://www.waraxe.us/forum-5.html

Is any of this a problem with the Guestbook? It seems that Forums and CMS's are being attacked.
Carbonize
Master
[Avatar]

Not with 2.3.2 it shouldn't be.

Carbonize

get Lazarus
Anonymous

You probably have already realized/discovered this, but if you enter ')||('a'='a
in the password field, it will give access to the admin bored.
Sorry in advance if this was already covered with the addslashes patch.
Carbonize
Master
[Avatar]

errrrrrrrr no this was an exploit that only existed in 2.2 and 2.3 for which 2.3.1 was released to patch OVER 2 YEARS AGO!

2.3.4 has no known exploits at present and patches the known XSS exploit and the sad/stupid HTML in the useragent exploit.

Carbonize

get Lazarus
Anonymous

When someone tries to write a message in my guestbook this message appears :
One of the input fields does not seem to be valid.

I am using Advanced Guestbook 2.3.2

www.sykestua.com/gjestebok

Any idea?
Carbonize
Master
[Avatar]

yes download 2.3.4 and replace all your files except admin/config.inc.php

Carbonize

get Lazarus
creiglboyd

Ok thank you for this is very useful
Przemek

next update?
Carbonize
Master
[Avatar]

Probably never since there hasn't been one in over a decade.

Carbonize

get Lazarus
Oliver_queen
Beginner

Mechanical Engineering Assignment Help
Mechanical engineering is one of the most important branches of engineering. This is because anything that moves in this world is most likely related to the mechanical engineering. The mathematics and physics used in the branch are very tough and often makes student lose marks as they are not able to complete. Also, the other topics like thermodynamics, the strength of materials, etc. make students study more as they need to learn all the topics to get good marks in their examination. The assignments tend to put extra pressure on their students which is generally not good for their health. To reduce this pressure on students, we at Urgent Homework Help provide online assignment help to students in mechanical engineering under Mechanical Engineering Assignment Help. We have experts who can take care of your assignments while you concentrate on your studies. To know more about us visit our website.

Forum Index » Support Forum
Go to:   
Based on the open source JForum