If you are not registered or logged in, you may still use these forums but with limited features. Show recent topics
  [Search] Search   [Hottest Topics] Hottest Topics   [Members]  Member Listing   [FAQ]  FAQ 
[Register] Register / 
[Login] Login 
user editing of posted messages (their own)  XML
Forum Index » General Discussion
c141hea

How do you configure the system to allow users to edit their own messages in the guestbook? Or can this be done at all?

Thanks.

Mike
[Email] [WWW]
amber222
Graduate

I don't know if it could be done or not, but it sounds scary. The preview feature is there so someone can preview their entry before they submit it. If something is wrong, they should change it at that time. If they are allowed to make changes after their entries have been submitted, sounds like hacking would be enabled. Since the guestbook does not work on a membership system, how would you prevent one person from editing another person's entry? I think the Admin should be the only authorized editor.
c141hea

I've concluded it can't be done. What's strange about this is that the 'poster' can edit their own messages on the forums, but not their own guest book entry (e.g., to change incorrect info) .... but hey... it's free.

Mike
[Email] [WWW]
amber222
Graduate

I think membership is the key factor. You can't have people editing stuff when you don't know who they are.
Carbonize
Master
[Avatar]

The only way you could have people edit their own entries on the guestbook would be by comparing the IP but as a lot of people have dynamic IP's it's only feasible as a short term thing.

Carbonize
I am not the maker of the Advanced Guestbook

get Lazarus
[Email] [WWW] [Yahoo!] aim icon [MSN] [ICQ]

Forum Index » General Discussion
Go to:   
Based on the open source JForum