If you are not registered or logged in, you may still use these forums but with limited features. Show recent topics
  [Search] Search   [Hottest Topics] Hottest Topics   [Members]  Member Listing   [FAQ]  FAQ 
[Register] Register / 
[Login] Login 
gb 2.3.1 generates spam  XML
Forum Index » Support Forum
Anonymous

this gb got a lot of spam messages?

ppl from nowhere keep posting on my guestbook with pron, ads messages? how you prevent this?
Carbonize
Master
[Avatar]

Two options.

1 - Use my image verification mod - www.carbonize.co.uk/verification.zip

2 - Alter the name of the Name input.

Carbonize
I am not the maker of the Advanced Guestbook

get Lazarus
[Email] [WWW] [Yahoo!] aim icon [MSN] [ICQ]
Anonymous

how u do option 2

2 - Alter the name of the Name input.
Carbonize
Master
[Avatar]

Ok I've had a quick look at how to alter the input name but haven't tested this.

The files you need to alter are index.php, addentry.php, templates/form.php and lib/add.class.php. Simply go through them and replace gb_name with your new chosen input name. You could change it to something like gb_nom, gb_poster and so on. Just remember to be careful what you name it so that it doesn't clash with the other inputs.

In theory the automated spamming works by just sending the posting information straight to your guestbook. In this information it will be using the name gb_name to identify the name variable. As you will no longer be using this name the guestbook will receive the post but should not add it because as far as it's concerned they forgot to add the name. This technique is by no means foolproof but while it's a new concept and there are hundreds of guestbooks still using gb_name this modification should work.

Carbonize

get Lazarus
Anonymous

cool hope this works. btw most spam comes in german. this must be popular on german site.
Anonymous

Does changing the name entry work on 2.2? if so it must be called something other than gb_name because I couldnt find it...
Carbonize
Master
[Avatar]

http://proxy2.de/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3802

^^^ I was half asleep when I posted this.

Carbonize

get Lazarus
Anonymous

thanks for the quick response. That is a link to THIS thread... is the info in HERE some place? I opened up the files you mentioned and it worked fine in my gbook which is 2.3.1 My friend has 2.2 and I would like to do the NME change thing for him too if it is possible...
Carbonize
Master
[Avatar]

What I would like is for someone to send me the files for Advanced Guestbook 2.2 as I think I've lost the copy I had, or it's on my laptop which is gathering dust in my house. I'll check on that later. I'm sure 2.2 uses the same naming scheme, ie gb_name gb_url etc. To check simply visit your addentry.php page and view the source code. Look for the <input tag that is used for the name (it should be the first one you come across) and see what the name="" attribute says. Then simply look in your files for that name.

Carbonize

get Lazarus
Anonymous

this is what it says in addentry.php:

if ($HTTP_SERVER_VARS["REQUEST_METHOD"] == "POST") {
$gb_post->name = (isset($HTTP_POST_VARS["name"])) ? $HTTP_POST_VARS["name"] : '';

should I just chnage ["name"] to ["nom"] ?
Carbonize
Master
[Avatar]

hmmm guess he added the gb_ prefix in 2.3. Back up your files before making the changes.

Carbonize

get Lazarus
JTD
Graduate

Carbonize wrote:What I would like is for someone to send me the files for Advanced Guestbook 2.2 as I think I've lost the copy I had, or it's on my laptop which is gathering dust in my house. I'll check on that later. I'm sure 2.2 uses the same naming scheme, ie gb_name gb_url etc. To check simply visit your addentry.php page and view the source code. Look for the <input tag that is used for the name (it should be the first one you come across) and see what the name="" attribute says. Then simply look in your files for that name.

Ok I sent you a copy Again To your gmail account. Dont lose it this time. lol

LINK-> Use Lazarus Guestbook
[WWW] [Yahoo!] aim icon [MSN]
Anonymous

hmmm... maybe I'll jst add the IMAGE VERIFICATION to my friend's 2.2 board instead. Your instructions for that are super-clear.

Forum Index » Support Forum
Go to:   
Based on the open source JForum