If you are not registered or logged in, you may still use these forums but with limited features. Show recent topics
  [Search] Search   [Hottest Topics] Hottest Topics   [Members]  Member Listing   [FAQ]  FAQ 
[Register] Register / 
[Login] Login 
Advanced Guestbook 2.3.2  XML
Forum Index » General Discussion
Carbonize
Master
[Avatar]

I have been updating the Advanced Guestbook 2.3.1 code to bring it upto date and fix some exploits and compatiability issues with PHP5 and Apache 2.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Changelog:
Changed GET, POST, SERVER, COOKIE and FILE variables from old style to new style (ie changed $HTTP_GET_VARS to $_GET).

Added simple anti spam method

Patched useragent exploit (others patched by original coder)

Addentry form now only displays smileys if you have them turned on. Also it now only shows smileys on the add entry page that are in your list.

Changed some text in the admin area to make it easier to understand.

Rearranged the config.inc.php file to put main options at the top.

Rewrote the installer as I didn't like the last one.

Changed the $session variable as it is apparently reserved by Apache2.

--------------------------------------------------------------

It will be available for beta testing soon. Volunteers always welcome. Oh and just to add that Advanced Guestbook 2.3.2 is only it's name in testing. I am not going to call it that as it then sounds like an official update from the maker rather than by a third party such as myself. Final name will be something like Advanced Guestbook 2.3.1 Carbonized, or possibly not. Suggestions welcome.

Just to make it clear. This beta does not add any new features to 2.3.1 apart from the simple anti spam method and the dynamic smiley displaying. I may possible add the Yahoo/MSN fields as well as the third gender option to the final release but I may leave that for the next update once I know this one works fine.

Carbonize
I am not the maker of the Advanced Guestbook

get Lazarus
[Email] [WWW] [Yahoo!] aim icon [MSN] [ICQ]
Carbonize
Master
[Avatar]

Hmmmmmmm "2.3.2" may be released sooner than anticipated. I recently moved server and, after a lot of hassle fixing errors, I have noticed I am now on Apache 2 and my guestbook is still working. So I will leave the $session variable as it is for now. The dynamic smiley generator for the addentry page is complete I just need to integrate it. "2.3.2" will work with your current 2.3.1 database with no changes required. You will just need to edit the config.inc.php file to reflect your MySQL details and change the antispam. Once this has been beta tested and I am satisfied there are no bugs in the works I will start work on the next level which will be my "2.3.2" code but with Yahoo/MSN fields, third gender option and some more options in the admin section.

Carbonize

get Lazarus
captainc
Beginner

It would be a really nice enhancement if you could add the smiley parsing routine so that more smileys can appear on the add entry and comments sections. I made an enhancement on mine, but basically had to hard code it.

Just a thought, but it would be really nice
Carbonize
Master
[Avatar]

Yes I intend to pass coments to the smiley parser but if yo umean to only have the smileys you have chosen appear on the addenty page then I have already done it.

Carbonize

get Lazarus
captainc
Beginner

Oh, forgot to tell you where you can see the mods.

http://www.troymcmanus.com/guestbook/

http://www.escapeplanrocks.com/guestbook/
captainc
Beginner

Also, I'd love to test the upcoming beta on my site. Just let me know.

http://www.sierraband.com

mailto:webmaster@sierraband.com
Carbonize
Master
[Avatar]

As I said I've already done the dyamic smiley genrator for th eadd entry page. It only shows the smileys o nadd entry page from your database. Smiles in comments is also now done.

Carbonize

get Lazarus
captainc
Beginner

Ahh that's great
captainc
Beginner

Did you happen to add the Alt tag on the smilies so it matches the Emotion that you set in the admin section for smilies
Carbonize
Master
[Avatar]

Yup. I also added some accessibility features to the entry form then removed them as it would confuse 99% of webdesigners let alone non HTML users.

Carbonize

get Lazarus
Carbonize
Master
[Avatar]

OK 2.3.2 is damn well near done. You can see it at http://www.carbonize.co.uk/guestbook24 the only bug I'm still playing with is the smileys not appearing on the comment form. feel free to abuse it. The way things have been lately my server will probably break before the script does.

Carbonize

get Lazarus
JTD
Graduate

Just tried your copy carb small message with an image. As soon as I hit submit it flashed and error. But It went back to the main page so quick I couldnt read what it said. It was something about permissions though. I did catch that much of it.

LINK-> Use Lazarus Guestbook
[WWW] [Yahoo!] aim icon [MSN]
Carbonize
Master
[Avatar]

yeah there's something wrong with comments. I think I know what it is and am working on it.

Carbonize

get Lazarus
Carbonize
Master
[Avatar]

Ok fixed comments. Also added antispam to comments to be safe. Anybody got any ideas for a name? Feel free to email me for a beta copy.

Carbonize

get Lazarus
Lady Rando
Beginner

If I knew more about php I'd test for ya but afraid all you'd get is, that's nice, that thingy works well and what's this gizmo for?

btw, any way to hide the guests email address from public viewing and allow only the admin to see them?

Forum Index » General Discussion
Go to:   
Based on the open source JForum