If you are not registered or logged in, you may still use these forums but with limited features. Show recent topics
  [Search] Search   [Hottest Topics] Hottest Topics   [Members]  Member Listing   [FAQ]  FAQ 
[Register] Register / 
[Login] Login 
the guestbook on this site  XML
Forum Index » Advanced Guestbook Forum
Nebol
Beginner

I just peeked at the guestbook on this very site and saw that it was full of spam! Hmm?
That's not very enticing.. Why not add any of the spam-fighting methods that I've seen in this forum?
Carbonize
Master
[Avatar]

The webmaster is a very busy person. He has taken minor steps like removing the home page field. A lot of the recent spam is actually getting clever and bypassing the simple antispam mod but hats only one person who kept spamming the same message over and over for about 10 hours straight. It would be simple to mod the your own guestbook to requi8re a password on posting or the answer to a question. It would just be a case of adding the input to the form and then checking for it in addentry.php (or index.php if running as module) and then comparing the answer with the correct one.

www .carbonize.co.uk/Guestbook/index2.php is a mod I made to display all the entries that failed my simple antispam method. More in there than the real guestbook I didn't make it a link for obvious reasons. Ignore the comments that appear on there as the mod is not perfect and the comments are for the real entries not the spam ones

Carbonize
I am not the maker of the Advanced Guestbook

get Lazarus
[Email] [WWW] [Yahoo!] aim icon [MSN] [ICQ]
Nebol
Beginner

Those bastards...

Any ideas on how they find the guestbooks? search engines?
I'm protecting my guestbooks with the robots.txt , but the spammers find my guestbooks anyway.
Carbonize
Master
[Avatar]

Google mainly.

Carbonize
I am not the maker of the Advanced Guestbook

get Lazarus
[Email] [WWW] [Yahoo!] aim icon [MSN] [ICQ]

Forum Index » Advanced Guestbook Forum
Go to:   
Based on the open source JForum