If you are not registered or logged in, you may still use these forums but with limited features. Show recent topics
  [Search] Search   [Hottest Topics] Hottest Topics   [Members]  Member Listing   [FAQ]  FAQ 
[Register] Register / 
[Login] Login 
Human Verification  XML
Forum Index » Advanced Guestbook Forum
Jonathan
Beginner

Hi

Why isn't the human verification (the image system or typing in a specified word) - or even the approval system, included in the next release of the Advanced Guestbook ?

If so, when ?! (as I am in desperate need of this!).

Jonathan
Auron
Expert
[Avatar]

You can add it yourself. Check Carb's profile for a link to his for more info.

Visit my site @ www.ragnaru.com
Adv. Poll Install Guide NOW BACK ONLINE! (And also rather out of date I would of thought)
[Email] [WWW]
Jonathan
Beginner

Thanks.

Though, why isnt it added into the guestbook automatically - so that everyone can take advantage of the added functionality ?

Jonathan
Carbonize
Master
[Avatar]

I came up with the human verification idea after the release of 2.3.2. As I have included it into Lazarus I can say it's a relatively simple thing to have added but maybe the writer is working on Advanced Guestbook 2.4 or possibly 3 and plans to include it in there. Or maybe he's just very busy person. I think he wanted to avoide any updates to the database in 2.3.2 hence it not being added.

Carbonize
I am not the maker of the Advanced Guestbook

get Lazarus
[Email] [WWW] [Yahoo!] aim icon [MSN] [ICQ]
Jonathan
Beginner

I your instructions (readme file) to edit the necessary files for image verification - you sometimes refer to version 2.2 twice. i think u may actually be referring to 2.3.2.

Can you confirm ? (as ive done the changes and when I go to add a guestbook message - the smillie icons dont display correctly).
Carbonize
Master
[Avatar]

2.3.2 was not out when I wrote the instructions for the image verification. I will rewrite them though as I now know of better ways of handling things. Image verification is part of the Lazarus road map but not in version 1. Possibly 1.1.

Carbonize

get Lazarus
Jonathan
Beginner

I have installed and had a look at the image verification system. It isnt what im looking for.

I would much prefer the look and feel of the system to remain as it is now (ie version 2.3.2), but for an approval system to be added.

Can this be done to 2.3.2 and if so, how ?

Jonathan
Carbonize
Master
[Avatar]

Yes it could but it's a major rewrite to some of the functions as well as a minor upgrade to the database.

Carbonize

get Lazarus
Jonathan
Beginner

Carbonize

How would I do it ? I'm up for the challenge!

Jonathan
Carbonize
Master
[Avatar]

Well firstly you would have to add a marker to the entries to say if they had been accepted or not. Then you have to change the MySQL query used for retrieving the entries so it only retrieves accepted ones. Then you have to fix the numbering system used. Next you have to add a check to the admin query to see if an entry is accepted or not and if not display an appropriate link by the entry. Plus some other minor stuff that eludes me right now.

Or you could just download Lazarus from my site as it already has it coded in as an option for both entries and comments.

Carbonize

get Lazarus
Jonathan
Beginner

I will install Lazarus later.

Is it possible to copy the existing guestbook entries over to the new guestbook ?

Jonathan
Carbonize
Master
[Avatar]

Lazarus is based upon Advacned guestbook and lets you update an existing advanced guestbook to Lazarus.

Carbonize

get Lazarus
Jonathan
Beginner

Will the current entries update okay, since the guestbook I am running is Advanced Guestbook 2.3.2, but Lazarus is based on 2.3.1.

Thanks.

Jonathan
Carbonize
Master
[Avatar]

Lazarus is based upon 2.3.2 and has all the security updates of 2.3.2.

Carbonize

get Lazarus
Jonathan
Beginner

Lazurus

Brilliant - installed it. What a breeze.

Gives me total control over what is displayed. Great.

Thanks
Jonathan

Forum Index » Advanced Guestbook Forum
Go to:   
Based on the open source JForum