If you are not registered or logged in, you may still use these forums but with limited features. Show recent topics
  [Search] Search   [Hottest Topics] Hottest Topics   [Members]  Member Listing   [FAQ]  FAQ 
[Register] Register / 
[Login] Login 
#1 Spammed Guestbook, 619 a day  XML
Forum Index » General Discussion
Bactrian
Beginner

Hi all,
What’s the record for how many times a guestbook gets spammed in one day, I’m at 619.
I don’t use the link to this guestbook any more, I made up a new guestbook sometime ago and changed the name to Visitor book, also changed a few other things which stopped the spammers from finding it.
I’m going to shut down this badly spammed guestbook in a few days unless anyone here would like to look at it or test some of their anti spamming code on it.
Here’s the link to it:
http://camelphotos.com/guest_bk/index.php
[WWW]
Carbonize
Master
[Avatar]

Well you could try my simple anti spam solution or goto www.carbonize.co.uk/AG and download the human verification mod. Or if you really want a laugh download Lazarus and replace that guestbook with it.

Carbonize
I am not the maker of the Advanced Guestbook

get Lazarus
[Email] [WWW] [Yahoo!] aim icon [MSN] [ICQ]
amber222
Graduate

Lazarus is the way to go. Also, exclude your guestbook from the search engines by adding a line to your robots.txt file.
Carbonize
Master
[Avatar]

or update to the newly released version 2.4 of Advanced Guestbook as it now has CAPTCHA.

Carbonize

get Lazarus
johnny_r

Carbonize wrote:or update to the newly released version 2.4 of Advanced Guestbook as it now has CAPTCHA.

Hi Carbonize,

Many thanks for your continously effort to support all of us. I have some minor questions and hopefully you have an answer

We have used guestbook 2.2, 2.3 and now upgraded to 2.4.1.
Still there are some ppl that manage to insert entries without using the bot verifier or the later CAPTCHA. They also manage to fake the IP.

Is there ane flaws in the sql db which makes it possible for an hacker to insert post directly thru mysql statements ? and thus avoid the frontpanels (eg. addentry.php etc....).

Kind regards,
Johnny
Carbonize
Master
[Avatar]

I've not played with the version 2.4 captcha much so couldn't say. There shouldn't be anyway around it as far as I am aware unless you have a second copy of the guestbook running on the same server.

Carbonize

get Lazarus
johnny_r

Carbonize wrote:I've not played with the version 2.4 captcha much so couldn't say. There shouldn't be anyway around it as far as I am aware unless you have a second copy of the guestbook running on the same server.

Hi again

Do you know if this bug also applies to 2.4.1 ? http://www.osvdb.org/12246

Kind regards,
Johnny

Kind regards / Mvh
Carbonize
Master
[Avatar]

No that was patched in version 2.3.2.

Carbonize

get Lazarus
johnny_r

Carbonize wrote:No that was patched in version 2.3.2.

Hi Carbonize,

Thx, appreciate your quick response very much.

Kind regards,
Johnny

Kind regards / Mvh
Bactrian
Beginner

Well I finely got around to adding the Human Verification mod to my guest book and put the address link back to where it had been getting so badly hit with spam, If I had known how easy it was to install the mod I would have done it a long time ago. The only problem is I did the mod about 3 hours ago and have already been spammed! I will give it some more time, maybe this one was entered by hand.
Here’s my guest book, I have not deleted the spam yet.
http://www.camelphotos.com/guest_bk/index.php
[WWW]
CHwebby
Beginner

HELP FOR THE STUPID!!! Ok, since I'm having trouble with my guestbook. I decided to install new. I'm using Advanced Guestbook 2.3.3 and was looking for the human verification mod but I don't see it on the link you posted. Does it go by another name?

Thank you in advanced

Carbonize wrote:Well you could try my simple anti spam solution or goto www.carbonize.co.uk/AG and download the human verification mod. Or if you really want a laugh download Lazarus and replace that guestbook with it.
CHwebby
Beginner

Never mind, found it in the forum
Bactrian
Beginner

I added the human verification to my guestbook and it only slowed down the spammers, still getting about 20 a day. Take a look at the Advanced Guestbook 2.4.1 with the human verification here on their own site, you will see they are also getting spammed. If they can’t stop it on their own guestbook I’m thinking it’s time for a change, now if I can just figure out how to change it over to the Lazarus guestbook.
[WWW]
Carbonize
Master
[Avatar]

Download Lazarus, copy database infor from AG config.inc.php to Lazarus config.inc.php and fill in the base_url while there. Upload lazarus. Download the agupdate file from downloads page or smartupdater from forums and run it. Job done.

Carbonize

get Lazarus
paulvogels

I updated my GB to lazarus and still the GB is getting spam.
Can you help me

Forum Index » General Discussion
Go to:   
Based on the open source JForum