If you are not registered or logged in, you may still use these forums but with limited features. Show recent topics
  [Search] Search   [Hottest Topics] Hottest Topics   [Members]  Member Listing   [FAQ]  FAQ 
[Register] Register / 
[Login] Login 
How do I remove captcha  XML
Forum Index » Advanced Guestbook Modifications
torito33

I would like to know how I can remove captcha from my guestbook?
Carbonize
Master
[Avatar]

You can turn it off in the config.inc.php file.

Carbonize
I am not the maker of the Advanced Guestbook

get Lazarus
[Email] [WWW] [Yahoo!] aim icon [MSN] [ICQ]
torito33

THANK YOU!
j4l4ni

hi, why you want to remove captcha?

WORDPRO Web Services
Tau Gamma Phi MSU Ranao Chapter
WORDPRO Web Hosting
[WWW] aim icon
McLaranium

j4l4ni wrote:hi, why you want to remove captcha?

mmm I don't know reasons for others remove captcha. but I will remove it too. I know it prevent spam or robots - only iF you're attacked you got to remove the entries ¬¬) manually ... uuuuf..... but at least I don't need it, the admin can remove or edit posts. and to me is faster without captcha.

. my
[WWW] [MSN]
Bryan G
Beginner

here's a reason to remove it. Half the people can't tell when a letter is cap or lower case. And it doesn't stop spam, I get it all the time. I have no link to the add entry on my page, yet somehow they find it and add crap all the time. Here's where I display it as a customer feedback form http://fallspc.com and everyday I get several spams. You'll see, there is no link anywhere on there to where someone can add an entry. This is driving me nuts.

A simple fix would be to password protect the add entry, but that would only work for me, not for the rest of the people using this script.

It is a nice script, if I could just mod it enough to stop this spam......
Carbonize
Master
[Avatar]

1 - CAPTCHA should not be case sensitive
2 - They just Google for phrases they know are found in the guestbook such as "Advanced Guestbook 2.4.3"

You could rename the addentry.php file and then edit config.inc.php to reflect those changes or you could have a look at Lazarus although the former is probably easier option.

Carbonize

get Lazarus
Bryan G
Beginner

thank you, the first solution is what I was looking for but didn't know where to make the changes. Someone is currently spamming as I'm doing this, I usually get 5 in a row. I made the change after the 1st one, they'll be surprised after their second try.

As I said in my other post, nice script.
Carbonize
Master
[Avatar]

You can always leave a fake addentry.php file containing a message but odds are it's a bot and not a real person spamming you.

Carbonize

get Lazarus
Bryan G
Beginner

that's even better. I don't want to move to Lazarus because that will be a lot of work, backing up the entries and all.

Most mods I needed I was able to figure out and I might have found this one, I knew there was a place to change the addentry reference, but my eyes are tired from looking at code. I've been working on a different web site dealing with a lot of code, I just had enough.

Thank you for your help.
Bryan G
Beginner

nope, that didn't work, now you can make an entry using my new.php form and the old addentry.php

somehow addentry.php is still working even though I changed the setting in config.inc.php
Carbonize
Master
[Avatar]

Did you remove the addentry.php file ?

Carbonize

get Lazarus
Bryan G
Beginner

when I removed it it didn't work, but I thought you suggested putting it in there to fool the spammer. You must have ment put a fake one in there.
Carbonize
Master
[Avatar]

No I suggested putting in a file called addentry.php but just with a simple message in it saying touch titties or words to that effect.

Carbonize

get Lazarus
Bryan G
Beginner

lol
OK, got it. I'm doing that now. The new .php works and I'm leaving the CAPTCHA in. I thought it was case sensitive, but the problem must have just been incompetent people. I never had trouble posting, but I've had several customers say they get an error, they had trouble with CAPTCHA.

Forum Index » Advanced Guestbook Modifications
Go to:   
Based on the open source JForum