If you are not registered or logged in, you may still use these forums but with limited features. Show recent topics
  [Search] Search   [Hottest Topics] Hottest Topics   [Members]  Member Listing   [FAQ]  FAQ 
[Register] Register / 
[Login] Login 
Hi carb  XML
Forum Index » Support Forum
creig
Beginner

Carb how have you been? hopefully good! I was wondering if you would be so kind as to help me set up my pc to run php scripts on localhost i am using iis7 and have php5 installed and are able to view php on local host how ever i have not been able to figure out how to get apache to work if im even installing correctly. I want to be able to set up mysql so im able to run php scripts to data base on localhost?,. Thank you for any advice and for your time
[WWW] aim icon
Carbonize
Master
[Avatar]

I don't know how much help I can actually be as I use XAMPP for my local server.

Carbonize
I am not the maker of the Advanced Guestbook

get Lazarus
[Email] [WWW] [Yahoo!] aim icon [MSN] [ICQ]
creig
Beginner

Hey thank you allot for your reply, i have installed xampp and are up and running very well. If i may ask you another question , is it possible to connect to a phpmyadmin Database with a php script to create the table or do i need to create the table manually? Thank you for your time
[WWW] aim icon
Carbonize
Master
[Avatar]

Xampp comes with phpMyAdmin so if you're more comfortable creating the tables that way I say go for it.

Carbonize

get Lazarus
creig
Beginner

Yes xampp is much easier than setting up iss7 , The only problem im having is that when i try to connect to a database through a php script thats suppose to create a table i keep getting installation failed, and im sure that i have the user name correct = localhost and the pw, i also have the script in the htdocs folder. Its got me confused at this point. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated as i know you are very good with php
[WWW] aim icon
Carbonize
Master
[Avatar]

I think I lifted the username and pass from the phpMyAdmin scripts config file.

Carbonize

get Lazarus
creig
Beginner

Thanks Carb. Yea it turn out that the script i was using was the problem, I tried another script to connect and a create table and worked fine, xampp is very cool and use it now, but it turn out that iis7 is pretty simple to use also with just a few modifications to the config.ini and php.ini,, Time to start learning php scripting !!! Thanks again for your always kind replies
[WWW] aim icon
Carbonize
Master
[Avatar]

PHP is not that complicated. You can easily learn from sites such as W3Schools although I bought some real books as I prefer to be able to have the book in front of me as I work.

Carbonize

get Lazarus
creig
Beginner

Yes, you actually had told me about w3schools a long time ago, hey where would i find books about scripting anyhow? Ive looked in a few books stores but nothing really worth buying
[WWW] aim icon
Carbonize
Master
[Avatar]

I think I purchased one from a shop and the rest from Amazon (one was purchased for me from my wishlist by one of my users). I have PHP for the World Wide Web by Larry Ullman which was my first book. The version I have linked to is the one I have from 2004 although there is a newer version but it is much more expensive. The one that was purchased for me was The PHP Cookbook which is full of good coding advice such as using single quotes for strings instead of double quotes.

When you are ready to move to MySQL I have PHP & MySQL for Dummies which has been very useful at times.

Carbonize

get Lazarus
creig
Beginner

Thanks alot, Im currently trying to point my dns to localhost, Cant stand paying for hosting so broke out the old pc and ill leave it running, will be some down time but not like i have millions visiting anyhow. freedns.afraid.org really cool !
[WWW] aim icon

Forum Index » Support Forum
Go to:   
Based on the open source JForum