If you are not registered or logged in, you may still use these forums but with limited features. Show recent topics
  [Search] Search   [Hottest Topics] Hottest Topics   [Members]  Member Listing   [FAQ]  FAQ 
[Register] Register / 
[Login] Login 
upgrading to current version 2.4.4  XML
Forum Index » Advanced Guestbook Forum
cville22903
Beginner

Upgrading a 2.2 guestbook.

I downloaded your script to upgrade to 2.3. Everything in the script worked with the exception of adding the pics table which I manually did. Guestbook worked fine at that point.

Because I need to do a bunch of mods, I downloaded 2.4.4 to a new directory and pointed config.php to the original database. The guestbook came up as 2.4.4 and I logged in as the admin and snooped around a bit. Saw a bit about having to set the capatcha up farther down in the config.php file so I did that.

I looked thru all the files in 2.4.4 and did not find an upgrade file but only found /misc/convert_tables_to_utf8.php which I ran and was successful.

If I attempt to to sign the guestbook I get a SQL error Error Number: 1146 Table 'ov1_agbook1.book_captcha' doesn't exist

Somewhere I missed a step between 2.2 and 2.4.4 which would have added the additional table(s). I've been up and down the forum and couldn't find anything (it's probably there and I'm too blind).

Can you help out please??

I already changed out a 2.2 guestbook to the current Lazarus on another site but I need to keep using AGB on this site as I sort of understand the mods I need to make.
Carbonize
Master
[Avatar]

Not sure why he removed the update_db file from the misc folder. very strange. Anyway I have lifted this from the install file.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 30/04/2011 17:14:55

Carbonize
I am not the maker of the Advanced Guestbook

get Lazarus
[Email] [WWW] [Yahoo!] aim icon [MSN] [ICQ]
cville22903
Beginner

Thank you, that fixed that problem.

But now looking at the guestbook I see another issue. The guestbook is used on a military veterans site. I've changed the display name of Location to Unit and one of my mods in 2.2 guestbook is a drop down box of the 14 units that the site and guestbook covers. I haven't done the mod yet (have to find my notes!!)

Anyway, I just saw that the Location (units) field being displayed is trunciated. As an example, prior to starting to upgrade, it would display the entire unit's name, ie, "121st Aviation Company". Now the display shows "121st" only.

Looking at my backup copy of the data base with phpMyAdmin, the /location field in the book_data table is varchan(50) utf8.
The backup location field is the same except it's still at latin1_swedish.

Looking at data in the field the backup DB has the correct info while the upgraded version seems to have removed everything past the first word (number). Now to throw a wrench into the thinking, if I type in 121st Aviation Company it does display correctly.

Should have paid more attention to the entire display during each step of the upgrade, I was just so darn happy it came up!

cville22903
Beginner

I went back and reloaded my backup copy of my data base. I ran the 2.2 tp 2.3 upgrade script and then manually added the "book_pics" table.

I have AG2.2 in the original directory (with an edited add_entry to prevent anyone from posting while I'm upgrading) and AG2.4.4 in a different directory.

I checked both versions and the location (Units) displays at the proper length. So I added the book_captcha table and checked both versions again and everthing displays correct. Version 2.4.4 comes up with the captcha when I post and I can make test posts under the new version.

The only thing I didn't do this time was run the script /misc/convert_table_to_utf8.php

At this point it appears, double and triple checking that everything seems to work, now I have to dig out my notes from 9 years ago on how I did the mods. Hopefully I will not screw things up.
Carbonize
Master
[Avatar]

The problem would be that UTF8 uses 2 bits per character where as the other charsets only use one.

Carbonize

get Lazarus
cville22903
Beginner

I've got all the mods from my old guestbook in place now. Having a little difficulty with one, but want to work on it before coming back here. Otherwise how would I learn

would love to have 1/10 of 1% of what Carbonize has forgotten about advance guestbook. I'd be soooo happy
Carbonize
Master
[Avatar]

lol I only know AG inside and out because I forked the Advcanged Guestbook 2.3.x in to Lazarus Guestbook but Chi Kien Uong made some big changes in the code between 2.3.x and 2.4.x. Best way to learn is by doing in my experience so just mess with the code and look at other peoples examples.

Carbonize

get Lazarus

Forum Index » Advanced Guestbook Forum
Go to:   
Based on the open source JForum