If you are not registered or logged in, you may still use these forums but with limited features. Show recent topics
  [Search] Search   [Hottest Topics] Hottest Topics   [Members]  Member Listing   [FAQ]  FAQ 
[Register] Register / 
[Login] Login 
Messages posted by: OneSicPuppy
Forum Index » Profile for OneSicPuppy » Messages posted by OneSicPuppy
I hope this doesn't get deleted...

I tried doing a search but didn't find anything of any real use in regards to my question.

I am currently running Advanced Guestbook 2.2 on my website (http://www.onesicpuppy.com/guestbook/).

I have read a lot of threads in hopes of finding a way to stop the spamming I seem to be getting on my guestbook.... I hope to have that problem solved here shortly.

But my question for this thread is in regards to upgrading my guestbook from version 2.2 to 2.3.4.

The last time I upgraded my guestbook, I encountered all sorts of problems. I know that probably 100% of these problems were due to the fact that I'm a complete and total novice when it comes to this PHP stuff... and I still am heh, even w/ the idiot proof walk throughs and how-to's lol. I'll be the first to admit I'm a retard when it comes to this.

I last upgraded because of security problems w/ the previous version. My old guestbook had been hacked... the newest version (at that time) had some of these security features fixed. Awesome... totally happy with it. That is, once I got everything working again.

Well, I noticed that there is now a newer version of Advanced Guestbook out, v. 2.3.4. When I had upgraded last time, I had somehow messed everything up... I lost all my old entries, all my settings... everything. I had to start over from complete scratch. I'm hoping to avoid this same problem when I go to upgrade my guestbook this time.

How do I upgrade the guestbook to 2.3.4 without losing any of my old entries, settings, and everything else? I guess I need the complete idiot's guide on how to do it so I don't mess it up again like I did last time (last time it took me a week to figure it all out and get it back to the way it was lol).

Any and all comments and suggestions (aside from flaming and bashing my more than obvious and self admitted idiocy, of course) is greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

~OSP
K, I did a search in the forum for what to do in regards to all the spamming that I'm getting in my guestbook on my website (http://www.onesicpuppy.com/guestbook/).

Looking at numerous threads, there are about a half a billion suggestions for helping and/or fixing this problem, some of which are Carbonize's human verification test mod, the Lazarus Guestbook, etc. just to name a few.

I guess before I decide to do anything here, which one(s) work best? Is there a combination of two or more of the suggestions I've seen that is possibly recommended?

I understand that none of them are 100% fool proof and that some spamming will still leak through... but heck, anything is better than the 5 spam guestbook entries a day I've been averaging, right? lol.

Thanks in advance the for the advice and the great service y'all provide!

~OSP
Apparently some time ago my guestbook got hacked. I wasn't aware of it at first until people started telling me about it. After searching on here and finding out that there was a security issue w/ 2.2, I decided to upgrade to 2.3.2 (I wasn't aware until now that a newer version had come out).

I have searched for answers to my questions, some I found answers to, some I haven't, hence this post. If there is an answer out there to these, please post up the link and I'll check it out.

Anyway, I'm updating from 2.2 to 2.3.2 as said above. I'm reading the instructions on how to do so outlined from here: http://proxy2.de/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4010

It says to "Open the configuration file 'config.inc.php' with a text editor and set up your database settings."

What exactly am I supposed to do here? I'm a complete noob when it comes to php/SQL/etc. and haven't the slightest clue what my database settings are (or rather were prior to being hacked), nor do I know how to change them. I have all the files saved on my computer prior to it being hacked... am I able to get my settings from one of those files? And if so, what do I do?

Next question... I made a backup of my guestbook back in October (I downloaded all the files that were in my guestbook folder on my server onto my computer). This was before it had been hacked. After searching, I couldn't find a definite answer on how, and if, I can somehow salvage all of my guestbook entries that I had. So if it can be done, if you could point me in the right direction, I would be eternally indebted to you.

Like I said, I searched for answers, but wasn't able to find anything... Then again, I'm so new to all this that I probably wouldn't recognize the answer if it was sitting on my face lol. If it has been posted before, please don't erase or delete this, but rather please supply me w/ a link on how to do both of these.

Any and all help would be appreciated.

Thanks so much.

OSP
www.onesicpuppy.com/guestbook

EDIT - Just read something on Carbonize's website dealing w/ upgrading.... he/she "personally recommend sticking with 2.2 if you already use it and have a lot of entries." I do have a lot of entries. If I use the Advanced Guestbook 2.2 Login Exploit Fix, is there a way I can still salvage my entries (that are seemingly missing, as far as I can tell, from my site) if they were, in fact, saved on my hard drive when I backed it all up? If so, how? Thanks so much.
Hi all, I'm new here. I registered so I could post up in the forums and get some help w/ Advanced Guestbook 2.2.

For years I've had my own website, and throughout that whole time I've used the same guestbook... a free one from htmlgear.com to be exact. Well, I just installed Advanced Guestbook 2.2 onto my website and I want to move all of the guestbook entries from the old guestbook onto this one.

I have no problem doing it manually... copy and paste works wonders. Only problem is that the dates won't coincide with the original date the book was signed.

Is there a way I can go in and manually change the dates to when they were originally? If so, could someone please walk me through it? Please understand that I have never used PHP & MySQL ever in my life before. In fact, I have been "using" it for exactly one hour now lol.

So, if I could get some VERY detailed instructions, keeping in mind that I'm a PHP & MySQL newbie retard, it would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks!

~J

Forum Index » Profile for OneSicPuppy » Messages posted by OneSicPuppy
Go to:   
Based on the open source JForum