If you are not registered or logged in, you may still use these forums but with limited features. Show recent topics
  [Search] Search   [Hottest Topics] Hottest Topics   [Members]  Member Listing   [FAQ]  FAQ 
[Register] Register / 
[Login] Login 
Messages posted by: middleeastfacts
Forum Index » Profile for middleeastfacts » Messages posted by middleeastfacts
Excellent - you're the best!
Of course you did!

Where can I find this script?

Thanks Carbonize!

Steve
Hi there,

Has anybody toyed with the idea of creating an RSS feed from the guestbook? I'd like to make that an available option, in the case somebodoy wants to syndicate mine (I doubt there will be any takers, but who knows?). Also, I'd like to be able to integrate the last couple of comments onto my main page and I can see the RSS format being helpful for that.

Anyone got any feedback?

Thanks,
Steve
Carbonize wrote:You could increase the number of entries per page and cut down on surperflous text on the page.

Increase the number of entries? I'm thinking that decreasing the number of entries per page will result in more pages, and thus more pages per keyword. Does anybody have a really high PR guestbook?

BTW Carbonize, this is off-topic, but is there a tool that makes comments require administrator acceptance before being posted? That would cut down on spam issues.

Thanks,
Steve
Well, I think that would be reasonable. Do you (or anybody else) have any ideas on how to improve search engine optimization in the guestbook? The idea below would greatly increase the internal linking, which is why I suggest it, but surely there are other ways that one can help SEO. Anybody?

Carbonize wrote:Possible but not to keen on the idea myself. You would either end up with a lot of numbered links are the bottom or you would have to cut out the middle chunk of links (1 2 3 4 .... 13 14 15 16).
Hi all,

In the interest of having spiders hit a number of pages at a time, rather than one at a time, I was thinking it would be useful to have navigation links at the bottom of pages, similar to how you see them in this forum script. Instead of having just "Previous Page" and "Next Page", does anybody know how to create some code so that you can skip to a page that is not next or previous? The drop down is useful for human navigation, but I don't think the spiders are able to use the drop-down navigation to determine other pages. Does anybody already have a script for this?

If you have no idea what I'm talking about, go to http://proxy2.de/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4678, for instance. The bottom of the page has "Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 Next Page 1 of 6". I was thinking it would be nice to have at the bottom "Goto records 1-8, 9-16, 17-24, ...... 385-392, 393-400".

Any ideas, or does this technology already exist?

Thanks,
Steve
We're all entitled to be cranky sometimes. I hope you have a good night's (day's?) sleep!
You're absolutely right.

I missed the part.

Sorry!
A delayed thank you, Carbonize...how did I know you would be the man with the answer? Thanks again...

Just to supplement your response, you must also actually change the file admin.php to administration.php...
Hi,

A long time ago I removed the administration links from the guestbook (index.php), but I just realized that the link on addentry.php still shows. I just poked around to find out where this link appears, but I can't find it for the life of me. Does anybody know how to remove that link?

Thanks very much,
Steve
I did identify one difference between my actual page and my test page. On my test page, have I have my includes in the same directory - so left.php is in the same directory as index.php. In my actual page, I have my includes in a separate directory, /template/ so that I can find them more easily. So, for some reason, advanced poll is looking for left.php (actually, left1.php because I'm testing it) in the root rather than the tempate directory.

Anybody know how to fix this or do I just have to move left.php into the root?

Steve
kodif wrote:I forgot to sign

Hi Kodif,
Thanks for your comments. My site doesn't have frames - the left menu is an include, but I'm sure the same problem exists.

Can you tell me exactly how to change class_poll.php? I'm not too familiar with php. I guess the problem is that the left menu or left.php is on every page of my site, so this poll will show on every page. Thus, if somebody uses the poll, the results have to show on that page - it won't always be index.php. Is there a command other than PHP_SELF that I can use?

Anyway, the most confusing thing to me is that here the code works fine, even though I've implemented it the same. Confusing...

Thanks for your assistance,
Steve
I have Advanced Poll set up on my site, inside my left menu, which appears on every page. The poll appears fine on http://www.middleeastfacts.com/index1.php (which is a test page, not my main page), and the left menu is an included file called left1.php.

If you make a selection and click vote, for some reason the user is redirected to http://www.middleeastfacts.com/left1.php and not index1.php. Does anybody know why? When I tested it in another location, it worked fine, but for some reason now it doesn't work.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Steve
Carbonize wrote:At present the only way to edit comments is via phpMyAdmin or similar. I'll add it to my things I may possibly do list although at present it's looking like 2.3.2 will be my last major work on Advanced Guestbook.

Carbonize, you've added greatly to the power and flexibility of AG, so I can see why you might want to "retire" and let somebody else pick up where you've left off. It's not a huge deal not to have the ability to edit comments, but if there was a quick fix available, I figured I ask.

Oh well!

Take care,
Steve
Hey everybody,

I've searched for this info, but I can't find it. Does anybody (Carbonize) have a method of editting comments? I don't really understand why in the "easy admin" screen, one has the option to edit guestbook entries but not comments. On my site , only myself and one other guy leave comments, but occassionally I'll see a mistake in one of my comments and I'll have to copy, delete and recomment, rather than just being able to open the comment for editting. Is there any way that an edit function can be built into or onto the existing structure, perhaps by opening comment.php in a new window, with the current comment preloaded?

Thanks,
Steve

Forum Index » Profile for middleeastfacts » Messages posted by middleeastfacts
Go to:   
Based on the open source JForum