If you are not registered or logged in, you may still use these forums but with limited features. Show recent topics
  [Search] Search   [Hottest Topics] Hottest Topics   [Members]  Member Listing   [FAQ]  FAQ 
[Register] Register / 
[Login] Login 
Messages posted by: ET
Forum Index » Profile for ET » Messages posted by ET
Matze,

The format that the script was originally written needs to be followed if you want to modify (tweek) just a little. Or wait for for Carbonize's generousity.

If you want to do it yourself, remember to think in terms of what is the order of appearance, for the pattern seeking process.

Hoping that helps.
Not impossible - just takes work to write the script. See my other response to your other thread you started.

http://proxy2.de/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4131
This will get you the firefox browsers in the list - put this in the $top_browsers portion of the script

It needs to be placed before the Mozilla group

If there are other browsers you are wanting to add, here is a list of browser ids out there....
http://www.zytrax.com/tech/web/browser_ids.htm

Hoping that helps
Hi,

Carbonize is correct that the browser was not around when the script was initially written - another factor is the fact that there are so many brands (and off brands) of browsers that you might end up bogging down the script before you ever caught them all.

http://webtips.dan.info/brand-x/useragent.html
has some good information about user-agents If you are looking to get a general list, you can always add those specific browsers (and operating systems for that matter) into your list. I modified mine to differentiate between the Windows NT and Windows XP operating system. But if you are tracking browsers, you will need to just add them in to your list.

Hoping that helps.
Okay, first thing I see wrong is that the base_dir in both Log.pl and Stat.pl are not the same. Both of them need to be the full path.
/srv/www/htdocs/web82/html/logstat/logfiles

The other thing may be that you are trying to use relative paths - some times that works, some times it doesn't. At lot depends on how the cgi-bin has been set up on the server or by the webhost.

On the last javascript portion, you may take out the noscript portion, however it will not count people who do not have their javascript turned on when they arrive at your pages. The noscript portion forces, at the very least, a visit to be counted in the log as a "noscript" on your print out.

These are the things that stood out - not guaranteeing it will solve the problems.

Hoping that helps
Cocolina,

I don't know if you are still around, but I ended up writing a mod to the counter.class.php in order to get the counter to reset at midnight. If you are interested, let me know.
I have now modified the php script of the Daily Counter so that you can pull the php into your html pages without needing to convert to php. The modified SSI (Perl) description is in another thread.

1) Create a page called javascript.php
2) Copy/paste the following code into that page and then save it

3) upload the javascript.php to your server/website along with the rest of the php pages needed for the daily counter. (This works fine without using MySQL.)

4) Then, on your html pages that you want the counter on, use the following javascript to pull in the php counter and load them onto your website.

I'm not around much to help with problems or questions. Just thought I would post this for people who want to use the script without needing to change their web-pages over to php pages.
No errors other than a 404 page shows up for me when I visit.

If you modified some lines of script, go back and make certain that you did not forget any opening or closing quotes and have the semi-colons in order on the files that you changed.

That would be my only suggestion at this time. I'm heading out so I can't hang around. Sorry!
Just thought I should add that, in addition to the previous post of mine about the daily counter, I added a lock that prevents the counter from adding when the page is refreshed from the visitor's IP.

The script is just a modified version of the IP locking script that is contained in the animated counter script (using the Perl - SSI version). The script allows the webmaster to lock or unlock the refresh page count along with a specified amount of lock time in minutes.

Not sure if anyone is even interested, so I won't post the code at this point. Just wanted people to know that the script modification is available if anyone is interested.
I had been trying to find a daily counter for my html pages (because I did not want to convert them to php or shtml). I did not find any scripts that I liked, so I have rescripted the SSI version of Daily Counter to work with javascript, if anyone is interested.

in the dailycount.pl on about line 47 I changed it as follows

Then, in my html page, where ever I want the counter to show up and/or be counted, I put

This gives me a "daily hit counter" which is not as sophisticated as the php version, but does not force me to change all my pages over to php either.

Hoping that helps anyone who wants to use the daily counter without having to convert their webpages.

ET
Thanks for asking Carbonize.

I have it fixed - and just to be safe, have moved the gb outta the Google path into a new directory and left a mockup version on the old path in the event the individual feels the need to try again.... After going to Google and typing in that keyword phrase, I see that tons and tons of people are hacked - some pretty nasty stuff out there

The only reason I caught it so quickly is because of an error alert that I got when s/he typed in the word "admin.php" incorrectly - The error log picked it up and sent me a notice. Otherwise, I wouldn't have known for a few days (or more) Yeesh!!!
I was recently hacked by samehelmasry.jeeran.com - guestbook data entirely wiped out but I always keep regular backups.

Hacker came directly to the guestbook from Google with keyword phrase powered by Guestbook 2.2 - just to let you know, I've never had the html enabled - but the gb was still swiped

It is a comfort to be able to check in here to find the solutions. You all are the bestest!!!

Thanks
I don't "work" here, but, did you chmod all the files and directorys that you put into your cgi-bin? They need to be chmod to 755 (drwxr-xr-x) & (-rwxr-xr-x).

Also, always make certain that you have not uploaded the files as binary. They must be uploaded as ASCII so that they don't "fall apart" in the transfer. If you can't remember whether you have uploaded them as ASCII, you should delete them from the server and reinstall them as ASCII then chmod them to 755 again.

If that's not the problem, then you may need more help than I can give at the moment.
The webhost that I used to use had nice little webstat program rolled in with its package. But the webhost closed shop. So I had to make a mad scramble to find a new host. The new host doesn't have a good stats program, but it does have some other nice features. So I went looking for a little webstats program and found yours. It works almost exactly the way I want.

I tweeked it a little and now I get feedback for each separate and distinct page that people visit. I only use webhosts that have Unix or Linux so I don't know if this fix would work for windows or other servers.

Also, I'll be putting a password protection on the stat.pl to secure it a little. All in all, I am really happy with this program! Thank you sooooo much!

ET

Forum Index » Profile for ET » Messages posted by ET
Go to:   
Based on the open source JForum