If you are not registered or logged in, you may still use these forums but with limited features. Show recent topics
  [Search] Search   [Hottest Topics] Hottest Topics   [Members]  Member Listing   [FAQ]  FAQ 
[Register] Register / 
[Login] Login 
Messages posted by: mikebonk
Forum Index » Profile for mikebonk » Messages posted by mikebonk
Anonymous wrote:According to the guestbook docs you can ban an IP block by just using 80

Hmmm...it won't accept it for me. If I enter the list reading:

(with and without the following period just to check)

when it loads again it simply shows:

Nothing less than two portions of the IP address have ever been accepted for me.
There are services which can resolve hostnames easily -- such as a free SPAMCOP account. But I still prefer the IP addresses.

Might it be possible to allow primary IP addresses on the banned list? For example 80. (I chose that at random...it is not one I have a problem with. I have a guestbook with a high level of SPAM -- even with the image verification mod (but not NEARLY so many as before it.) Most of the SPAM posts are from countries which would not normally visit my site or find it useful. Therefor banning entire blocks where the SPAM is most common could be useful. At this point, however, an IP address will not be accepted on the banned list unless it has at least two sections...for example 80.125.
I finally solved the problem of no verification image being generated on my system, so I thought I would post the solution for others...obvious though it might be to many.

The script requires that the GD Graphics Library be enabled in php. This is not necessarily enabled by default.

-- edited for typo --

Forum Index » Profile for mikebonk » Messages posted by mikebonk
Go to:   
Based on the open source JForum