If you are not registered or logged in, you may still use these forums but with limited features. Show recent topics
  [Search] Search   [Hottest Topics] Hottest Topics   [Members]  Member Listing   [FAQ]  FAQ 
[Register] Register / 
[Login] Login 
Messages posted by: gbourgui
Forum Index » Profile for gbourgui » Messages posted by gbourgui
Carbonize wrote:http://dnstools.com?CPE00095b6cf195-CM0011aea1a5ae.cpe.net.cable.rogers.com

I've found the DNSTools website very useful, except for my most recent spammer:

nat-240-1.byuh.edu

DNSTools tells me that "nat-240-1.byuh.edu" resolves to "nat-240-1.byuh.edu".

Of course the Guestbook won't accept that in the list of blocked IPs.

Any ideas?

Thanks.
That DNSTools site is very useful. Thanks!
Thank you for your answers. Before disabling entries altogether I decided to try blocking the Rogers IPs that you provided. I entered "64.71.246." and "24.153.22." to take care of those 4 IP addresses for Rogers. However, this morning I see that the spammer has been at it again with the same address I provided.

Any idea why he is still able to sign my guestbook even with those entries in the blocked IP section in general settings?

My guestbook is at www.bourguignon.ca/gen/guestbook. I haven't yet deleted the spam.

Thanks.
I have 2 questions:

1. I know I can block IPs and I have a long list of them already. However, sometimes I cannot figure out what the IP is, and ping doesn't return anything eg. "CPE00095b6cf195-CM0011aea1a5ae.cpe.net.cable.rogers.com" I tried getting the IP for rogers.com but even blocking it does not get rid of this pest, who has been spamming my guestbook lately.

2. Can I disable the guestbook altogether without deleting it? (ie. disable new entries altogether). This is what I will do if I cannot do anything about my first question.

Thank you!
Hi. I have been using the block IP feature in AG for the last few months to stop the continual flood of spam and my list of blocked IPs must have well over 50 entries in it by now.

However, there is this one I keep getting lately and for some reason when I ping to get the IP the ping request cannot find the host and tells me to check the name and try again.

Here is what shows up as the host in my AG:

trofimenkoaa.sovam.net.ua

Any ideas of how I can block this pest?

Thanks!
I'm not sure that I can look at any access logs, but please tell me where I should look if you think I can. I do not run my own server, but use the services of a web hosting company.

Thanks.

Read your access logs, it will tell you who posted it by IP address and ISP
Thanks for the prompt reply. Just after I posted my query I realized that I could probably disable Java in IE and then the script wouldn't execute when I went to delete the message. That worked. Next time I'll make sure I get the culprits IP and then ban it. By the way, I wasn't asking about how to ban IPs because I had in fact read that message (that's why I was able to refer to it). However, in any case, I do wish to thank you.
Can someone please tell me how I can log into my guestbook and delete an entry that is executing some sort of script (a dialog box that says "HA HA HA HA HA" ...... and appears to be an infinite loop). If I log into to Easy Admin the message still executes the script and I have to kill IE to get out of it. I can't see how I can get around the dialog to delete this spam.

I read another post about banning an IP/host and I will want to do that as soon as I can get this message deleted. It appears to also be an address that begins "nobody@". Unfortunately (although perhaps not) I deleted the e-mail that alerted me to the fact that someone had sighed my guestbook.

Please help me get my guestbook back online as soon as possible. Thanks.
I've just installed the Advanced Guestbook and just about everything is working fine. However, there seems to be a limit to the number of characters for a customized e-mail notification message. When I enter more than, say, 6 lines of text, then the words begin to get truncated.

Basically I want my thank you note to be in both English and French, with an additional line showing the URL for my web site. I can get the English and French text in, but it cuts off the URL.

Is there a setting to adjust this, or am I stuck with this limit?

Thanks.
Gerry

Forum Index » Profile for gbourgui » Messages posted by gbourgui
Go to:   
Based on the open source JForum