If you are not registered or logged in, you may still use these forums but with limited features. Show recent topics
  [Search] Search   [Hottest Topics] Hottest Topics   [Members]  Member Listing   [FAQ]  FAQ 
[Register] Register / 
[Login] Login 
Messages posted by: robharrisva
Forum Index » Profile for robharrisva » Messages posted by robharrisva
Unfortunately, in my case a refresh of the page won't result in a display of the CAPTCHA in Firefox. Baffling, just baffling.
I uploaded the new 2.4.4 script and overwrote everything except for the admin/config.inc file. This worked fine for one guestbook, but not for the other. For the other guestbook, the CAPTCHA won't display properly in Firefox. If you watch the page load, you can see that the CAPTCHA challenge is being overwritten by the CAPTCHA refresh button. I have tried uploading a fresh copy and even copying the entire working 2.4.4 guestbook to a new directory. The permissions are identical. Works fine in Internet Explorer, but not in Firefox. I asked a friend to try signing the guestbook using Firefox and they found the same problem. Any ideas? Thanks.
Thank you, Carbonize.
Is there a simple way to upgrade from 2.4.3 to 2.4.4? I have modified some of the 2.4.3 files (i.e. footer, english.). Is there a modification to be made to the database files? Do I "simply replace all the files EXCEPT admin/config.inc.php" and the footer, english files. Thanks. Sorry if the answer has been supplied before.
Assuming that your installation is typical and straightforward, the following should get you going in the right direction.

1. Open up the /admin/config.inc.php file and make the following changes at the top of the file.

<?php
/* database settings */
$GB_DB = array();
$GB_DB["dbName"] = "<insert database name here>";
$GB_DB["host"] = "localhost";
$GB_DB["user"] = "<insert authorized database user here>";
$GB_DB["pass"] = "<insert password for authorized database user here>";

2. Near the bottom of the /admin/config.inc.php file make the following changes.

$GB_PG["base_url"] = "http://www.<insert your domain name here>/guestbook"; /* e.g http://www.yourdomain.com/guestbook */

$DB_CLASS = "mysql.class.php";
$TEC_MAIL = "<insert admin email address here>";
$GB_UPLOAD = "public";
$GB_TMP = "tmp";

I hope this is of some help to you.
Carbonize wrote:inc/add.class.php.

Thanks Carbonize. And thank you for all that you do. The Human Verification Procedure mod prior to CAPTCHA being added and the feedback you have posted has been simply priceless. In short, where would we AGB admins be without you?
I just upgraded from version 2.3.3 to 2.4.3. I am employing hotlink protection using the .htaccess file to help deter Spam Bots and Content nabbers. To access my guestbook, one must navigate through my home page to reach it as my .htaccess file prevents linking directly to it. The .htaccess file prevents going directly to php, jpeg and other types of files. SPAM Bots typically attempt to link directly to the addentry page. My .htaccess file prevents them from doing just that.

However, with both versions I am getting a redirect after the guestbook is signed. After the default 5 second pause following signing the guestbook, the visitor receives a redirect instead of being returned to the guestbook.

It appears that the visitor's browser is being redirected to the guestbook, but the .htaccess is configured to prevent direct linking to the guestbook/php files. The only place I can find reference to the guestbook URL is in the /admin/config.inc.php file. Perhaps if I could find the file from which the visitor is actually being redirected.

Any suggestions, ideas? Thanks.
After additional troubleshooting, it appears that the problem was due to the failure of cPanel to include "RewriteCond %{HTTP_REFERER} !^$" after the "RewriteEngine on" command in the .htaccess file. I added it manually. I have now tested it successfully several times.

Thanks just the same.
It appears that after adding .php files in the RewriteRule of my .htaccess file to prevent SPAMMERS from hotlinking directly to my addentry.php file, legitimate visitors are now getting redirected to the URL (mydomain/403.shtml) specified in the RewriteRule, after getting the "Thank you" message through the success.php file, rather than back to the guestbook. I am generating the rules for the RewriteEngine via the Hot Link Protection GUI of cPanel. However, I have looked at the .htaccess file directly through a text editor. I am running Advanced Guestbook 2.3.3.

I have searched this and other forums and played with it for several hours now without success. I have confirmed that by removing the Rewrite rules, the problem goes away. I also tried adding http://127.0.0.1 as an allowable URL to no avail.

Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Forum Index » Profile for robharrisva » Messages posted by robharrisva
Go to:   
Based on the open source JForum