If you are not registered or logged in, you may still use these forums but with limited features. Show recent topics
  [Search] Search   [Hottest Topics] Hottest Topics   [Members]  Member Listing   [FAQ]  FAQ 
[Register] Register / 
[Login] Login 
Messages posted by: NatashaM
Forum Index » Profile for NatashaM » Messages posted by NatashaM
I am not familiar with PHP or SQL, so it took me a few hours to get this to work by trial and error. It may be not the best way to do it, but it worked for me. Hopefully this will save someone time!
Here are the steps I took:
1. I installed Advanced Poll through my hosting provider, GoDaddy (located at Hosting Control Center > Content > GoDaddy Hosting Connection, search for poll). I saw some demos at the directory that I speciafied at installation.
2. I changed one of the demos by adjusting values in MySQL (located at Hosting Control > Databases > MySQL > Open Manager for Advanced Poll) . The interface is not intuitive at all, but I found the tab "Browse" the most useful. I edited the poll questions and answers, width of the table, title of the poll, color of background for the title.
3. I removed "Version" link at the bottom and Comments link.
4. I created a new file with the following code in the same directory (I chose Demo 1 for my poll):
<?php
/* Include this before your html code */
include_once "./poll_cookie.php";
?>
<HTML>
<BODY>
<?php

/* path */
$poll_path = dirname(__FILE__);

require_once $poll_path."/include/config.inc.php";
require_once $poll_path."/include/$POLLDB[class]";
require_once $poll_path."/include/class_poll.php";
$CLASS["db"] = new polldb_sql;
$CLASS["db"]->connect();

$php_poll = new poll();

/* the first poll */
echo $php_poll->poll_process(1);

?>

</body>
</HTML>

4. My poll only worked in the directory where the poll application was installed, but I wanted it to show on my home page. I could not figure out how to get it to work, so I used IFRAME to display the poll on the home page. I had to change background color of the poll to make it blend in.

While it is not perfectly lined up, it's working!
www.tampa2enjoy.com

Any ideas on how to make it line up better?
Hope this helps!

Forum Index » Profile for NatashaM » Messages posted by NatashaM
Go to:   
Based on the open source JForum