If you are not registered or logged in, you may still use these forums but with limited features. Show recent topics
  [Search] Search   [Hottest Topics] Hottest Topics   [Members]  Member Listing   [FAQ]  FAQ 
[Register] Register / 
[Login] Login 
Guestbook Version 1.5 error  XML
Forum Index » Support Forum
Anonymous

I know you have seen this a hundred times all ready,
Cannot create ID file guest_id.txt in /cgi-bin/guestbook.pl . Please check your base directory.

Ok i know its a base dir error and all i need to do is put in my base dir right! the problem is i have know idea what it is, the server that we have our web site on winnt server,and our root directory is //as1clan.recongamer.com/ i have tried that but does not work

If anyone is kind enough to have a look at the site to see the error you will see the server set maybe someone will see the correct base dir.

http://as1-clan.recongamer.com/book/addentry.html

Tagg
Hawkslayer
Beginner

Save this script as a cgi, I usually name it basedir.cgi, put it in your cgi-bin and run it. Should give you the base directory.

#!/usr/bin/perl

print "Content-type: text/html\n\n";
print "Document Root is: ";
print $ENV{'DOCUMENT_ROOT'};

Hawkslayer

http://www.fuchsialand.co.uk
[WWW] [ICQ]
Anonymous

Thanks Hawkslayer it did not work, i did what you said but it returned zero info it printed to screen "Document root" thats all nothing else.

And i thought this would be easy i have done heaps of forum in perl and java. but this one has me stumpt no use to windows servers.

Tagg
Hawkslayer
Beginner

I just tried the script again on three sites. It works on them all. Maybe your host has some kinda security in place to prevent you accessing it? Has anyone else tried this script Let me know the results please.

Hawkslayer

http://www.fuchsialand.co.uk
[WWW] [ICQ]
Anonymous

well i think i found the base directory,but now when i run the guestbook i get these errors iam still not sure if it is the correct dir.

CGI Error
The specified CGI application misbehaved by not returning a complete set of HTTP headers. The headers it did return are:

Scalar found where operator expected at g:\inetpub\as1-clan\cgi-bin\guestbook.pl line 45, near "$font_face"
(Might be a runaway multi-line "" string starting on line 26)
(Missing semicolon on previous line?)
syntax error at g:\inetpub\as1-clan\cgi-bin\guestbook.pl line 45, near "$font_face "
Execution of g:\inetpub\as1-clan\cgi-bin\guestbook.pl aborted due to compilation errors.

Is anyone else trying to run this guestbook on a winnt server ???

Tagg
Anonymous

well i think i found the base directory,but now when i run the guestbook i get these errors iam still not sure if it is the correct dir.

CGI Error
The specified CGI application misbehaved by not returning a complete set of HTTP headers. The headers it did return are:

Scalar found where operator expected at g:\inetpub\as1-clan\cgi-bin\guestbook.pl line 45, near "$font_face"
syntax error at g:\inetpub\as1-clan\cgi-bin\guestbook.pl line 45, near "$font_face "
Execution of g:\inetpub\as1-clan\cgi-bin\guestbook.pl aborted due to compilation errors.

Tagg
Anonymous

CGI Error

Tagg
Tagg

oops sorry about the mult post, darn internet lol

Tagg
Tagg

Oh well no one seems to be able to come up with a solution for this problem of not being albe to find the base dir i must assume this bit of software never worked in the first place thats why the advance version was brought out.

Tagg
Anonymous

Hi, i am wondering if the guestbook 1.5 is compatible with apache 1.3.27 that i am running at the moment in windows 2000.
do i have to change anything to make it works.
why cant the script create id in the directory that i specified.
is there a restriction on windows apache tat makes it doesnt work properly?
thank you for any inputs.
Tagg

Well join the club mate iam having the same problem, Try this to find your base dir or your root dir and add it to your guestbook.pl

[Save this script as a cgi, I usually name it basedir.cgi, put it in your cgi-bin and run it. Should give you the base directory.

#!/usr/bin/perl

print "Content-type: text/html\n\n";
print "Document Root is: ";
print $ENV{'DOCUMENT_ROOT'};]

Cheers
Tagg

Forum Index » Support Forum
Go to:   
Based on the open source JForum