If you are not registered or logged in, you may still use these forums but with limited features. Show recent topics
  [Search] Search   [Hottest Topics] Hottest Topics   [Members]  Member Listing   [FAQ]  FAQ 
[Register] Register / 
[Login] Login 
Comments please about an index of the site  XML
Forum Index » General Discussion
Trevor
Student
[Avatar]

What I was thinking was to create a post that links to the most common issues - a kind of mini index. Hopefully users could quickly find answers to some common questions. This would have to be regularly bumped to keep it near the top of the list.

If this was done with a unique username and password then those details could be shared between the main users of the forum allowing them access to edit the post etc.

Any comments or suggestions?

Trevor

P.S. I'm posting this in both the General and Support forums.
[Email] [WWW] [Yahoo!] aim icon [MSN] [ICQ]
JTD
Graduate

Very good Idea Trevor. Another good Idea would be if the owner of all this was active and would appoint 1 or 2 mods. Then certain topics could be stickyied. But anyway to help you out. You need to use the most asked questions. I think what I have below is a good start for you.

#1. Problem with smilies and images.
#2. Forgot password and login.
#3. How do you change.* Welcome to my guestbook* or whatever it says
#4. Adding includes.
#5. sql exploit
#6. guestbook spam.
#7. Topics for setting up the config.php file correctly.
#8. any good fixes that people come up with. coughcarbonizecough

LINK-> Use Lazarus Guestbook
[WWW] [Yahoo!] aim icon [MSN]
Carbonize
Master
[Avatar]

#1 Open admin/config.inc.php and edit this line

#2 Requires phpMyAdmin or similar unless someone can be bothered making a script to let them change it.

#3 lang/english.php or whatever language you are using.

#4 You can't add them to the templates but you can to index.php etc.

#5 Open your lib/session.class.php and locateand replace it with

#6 My image verification or if it doesn't work edit the names of the inputs.

I need an aspirin.

Carbonize
I am not the maker of the Advanced Guestbook

get Lazarus
Trevor
Student
[Avatar]

Thanks JTD,

I agree with you about appointing mods - so simple to do and be such a help. One drawback with an 'index' - what happens if people actually find answers to their questions before posting pointless questions. You wouldn't have to post so many 'do a search' messages - that'd be a shame cos I like them, they keep me amused.

Trevor
JTD
Graduate

They amuse me also. But hey thats my standard answer when someone posts a question that has been asked and answered countless times. And they are to lazy to use the SEARCH BUTTON. And no there would still be the few who didnt bother to read anything before posting there help me question. So my search the forums sign would still work. I have even fired off a few emails to Chi Kien Uong With no replys at all about appointing a couple of mods. Maybe one of us should just make our own guestbook help forums and put up the links here.

Trevor
Student
[Avatar]

Write a guestbook!!! I have enough problems trying to figure out this one

Thanks Carbonize for suggestions - I think our earlier posts crossed cos I didn't see yours earlier on.

Anyone else got any suggestions?
Carbonize
Master
[Avatar]

JTD said make a guestbook FORUM. I did think about writinig my own guestbook but instead I may just update AG to include Yahoo and MSN mods, show a browser icon relative to the browser used, update it from http_vars to $_GEt and $_POST and fix the thumbnail script.

Carbonize

get Lazarus
amber222
Graduate

That's a good idea, Trevor. I tried a summary post for the guestbook a while back when it seemed everyone else was off on holiday. It helped for a few days to cut down on repetitive posts, but was never bumped.

It sure would be nice to have separate areas for the guestbook, poll, counters, etc. Failing that, I think an index is much needed.

Carbonize, if you update, can we move to your site?
Carbonize
Master
[Avatar]

I could do with more visitors lol. Right now I'm trying to figure out why it's not making the thumbnails. The browser image mod should be simple but I have to be in the mood to mod and right now I have a headache from working on girlfriends new layout.

Carbonize

get Lazarus
amber222
Graduate

Speaking of why it's not making thumbnails... I have 4 instances of the guestbook on various web pages - only one of them in PhpNuke. I noticed that one of the installations (not PhpNuke) wasn't making the thumbnails. I also had an issue on that one with your image verification script. It was not creating a new image, just using the same one over and over. Otherwise, the program works fine. I use that guestbook for samples to show, so this issue is not important but, considering the fact that I uploaded the same set of files in each instance, it seems strange to me that three guestbooks will make the thumbnails but one doesn't.

I know someone else who upgraded their guestbook from 2.2. Everything works fine, but I did notice that the guestbook picture is not really a thumbnail but just a resize.

I am wondering if it could just be an installation error or one of the files got messed up and need to be uploaded again.
JTD
Graduate

So how goes the list Trevor?

Trevor
Student
[Avatar]

The list is yet to gt going - 2 things, waiting to see what comments people have and then there's the issue of a lack of time. Busy days ahead so it'll be a while before it's done, might do it in bits here and there.
amber222
Graduate

So what can we do to help? Maybe start finding some relevant posts and send them to you?
Trevor
Student
[Avatar]

Something like that would be useful. Some are obvious from the number of times they've been viewed but there's also some really good posts that get 'lost' amongst all the others.

What would be useful is comments about how to do this, I've thought of 2 ways...

1) A normal post in the forum with headings such as 'What to do if you forget your password' and then links to relevant posts.

2) An external site (a freebie one), different sections for guestbook, poll, free-links etc, different pages in each section, each page covering a common area (upgrading, mods, errors etc) with links to relevant posts on this site. There'd have to be a post here to link to the site.

Advantage of first option is it's quicker and easier. Site based option could include much more info, be easier to navigate etc etc. Could also include online manuals.

What do you reckon?

What would really be good is if we could get some contact from admin. Admin - if you read this please make yourself known!!!

E-mail if you want to send anything is guestbook at kahlil dot org

Trevor

Forum Index » General Discussion
Go to:   
Based on the open source JForum