If you are not registered or logged in, you may still use these forums but with limited features. Show recent topics
  [Search] Search   [Hottest Topics] Hottest Topics   [Members]  Member Listing   [FAQ]  FAQ 
[Register] Register / 
[Login] Login 
Advanced guestbook write permissions  XML
Forum Index » Support Forum
Anonymous

I have managed to install the advanced guestbook, but I have problems attaching photos to the guestbook. Exactly how do I give write permissions to these driectories:

3. Give write permissions to these directories:

- public - 777 (drwxrwxrwx) (directory)
- tmp - 777 (drwxrwxrwx) (directory)

Can this be the reason that I can't upload photos? Everything else seems to work.

I'd really appreciate if someone can help me with this!
amber222
Graduate

Permissions use 3 digits:

first number: The Owner
second number: The Group
third number: The Public

0 (zero) No Permissions - cannot read, write or execute
1 Execute Only
2 Write Only
3 Write and Execute
4 Read Only
5 Read and Execute
6 Read and Write
7 Read, Write and Execute

So, 655 means The owner can read and write to the file, but everyone else can only read and execute the file.

777 means all can read, write and execute.

If you have CPanel, you can go to the File Manager, click on the Guestbook/Public directory and then select "change file permissions" (or some wording like that). Type in the correct permissions (777) and save.

If you are using CuteFTP, you can right click on the directory and select Permissions from the dropdown menu. You have the choice of typing in the number or checking the permission boxes.

But, don't just take my word for it and change permissions from the above info. You really should read up on it. Somewhere out there on the Internet are instructions for changing file permissions. Do an internet search on "chmod" and/or "file permissions" and you should get some good explanations.
Anonymous

Thank you! I'm using WS_FTP LE but I can't seem to find anything about permissions in the dropdown menu.
amber222
Graduate

ajl wrote:Thank you! I'm using WS_FTP LE but I can't seem to find anything about permissions in the dropdown menu.

I see you made another post. The error message you posted clearly indicates the problem is with the file permissions, so your second post is inappropriate. You need to learn the program you are using. So, you need to find out how to change permissions in that software or use CPanel.

http://tutorial.ftpplanet.com/LE/

Forum Index » Support Forum
Go to:   
Based on the open source JForum