If you are not registered or logged in, you may still use these forums but with limited features. Show recent topics
  [Search] Search   [Hottest Topics] Hottest Topics   [Members]  Member Listing   [FAQ]  FAQ 
[Register] Register / 
[Login] Login 
Advanced Poll 2.0.2 Help and Instructions! "NEW!"  XML
Forum Index » Support Forum
Auron
Expert
[Avatar]

Hi, people!

I've been away a while but I have been working some of the time I was away on holiday! WooHoo! And now, I've got pretty far working on my new help file, for advanced poll 2.0.2. I've also been working on the poll itself nothing that changes its functionality but makes more sense of its functions. A few new features include...

Updated and Added to Lang. file
New Bar Colours and Images
New Menu Images
New built-in Tutorial/Help System
Explained Demo Polls
Simplest version of the Poll Templates.
Updated Admin Templates
Updated some Menus

This will be released anytime between now and the end of December. But in the meantime you've got the guides I mentioned in the post that sent you here:

Another useful link...

http://proxy2.de/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2067

Hope this helps,
Auron

Visit my site @ www.ragnaru.com
Adv. Poll Install Guide NOW BACK ONLINE! (And also rather out of date I would of thought)
[Email] [WWW]
Auron
Expert
[Avatar]

A few things just need explaining here...

1) Logging On / Off

This determines if information is collected from the person voting in the poll, it collects a few details like IP, browser name and type. This is all it does and can be viewed under Poll Index, then Stats under the Stats column. You can tell if Stats is On or Off on the Poll Index page by if the Stats icon is greyed over, its Off, and if its not then its On.

2) Check No Checking / IP Table

This is a way of allowing people to only vote once, where you can set the amount of time they are locked out for. Which is just to the right of the drop down box. When someone votes, if IP Table is selected, their IP address is stored so they cannot vote again until their lockout time has expired they are then allowed to vote again. This method is poll specific, so it only locks them out of the poll they voted in.

3) The Cookie Code

This is here I guess if you want to exclude voters from all polls or you only have one poll to exclude them from. To me this seems pointless as you've got the IP Table and Locking Timeout situated in the General Settings whereas with this you have to add some extra code that confuses people and to change how long the cookie will last until it expires you have to open poll_cookie.php and edit it within the file itself.

4) Stuff to Read

http://proxy2.de/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2067

Also if you go to page four of the forums and work your way through to page one most of your questions should be answered or you could try the forums SEARCH function in the top right!

Auron

Adv. Poll Install Guide NOW BACK ONLINE! (And also rather out of date I would of thought)
[Email] [WWW]
Auron
Expert
[Avatar]

*bump!*

Auron

[Email] [WWW]
Auron
Expert
[Avatar]

*bumped again!*

The update above i never got round to doing in the first post of this topic
but i might do some modding of Adv. Poll 2.0.3

Auron

[Email] [WWW]
Anonymous

Ok, now tell me, what`s your problem!?
Auron
Expert
[Avatar]

nothin.

[Email] [WWW]
Anonymous

Actually, I do have a question: I got the IP Table checked and the timout locked at 2 hours, but still a whole day after voting I still get the "u have voted" text and just the results...What am I doing wrong ?
Anonymous

The server time offset is still set to "0" since I don't really know it's function...Can the problem come from there ?
Auron
Expert
[Avatar]

if you included a file called cookie.php then that's your porblem.
since when you vote it sets a cookie saying you've and the expiry time
on the cookie is 96 hours or so from when you vote. So for things to run
smoothly whatever you set the lockout time in the gen. settings I would
open cookie.php and change that to 2 hours also.

The server time offset just means if your 2 hours ahead of the server
you can set it to +2 hours so it shows you your time instead of 2 hours behind you time.

Auron

[Email] [WWW]
Anonymous

I just used the script as it is...I didn't add a cookie.php file. So what you're saying is that the only way for it not to work is that I added something to the original script ? (which I didn't). Thanks then
Wizbang

One reason not to use IP table checking and go with cookie checks is that IP checking stumbles on people coming from AOL and from behind proxy servers or NAT firewalls. AOL users share a couple IP addresses so after the first vote the rest of the millions of AOL users are locked out.
Auron
Expert
[Avatar]

Wizbang wrote:One reason not to use IP table checking and go with cookie checks is that IP checking stumbles on people coming from AOL and from behind proxy servers or NAT firewalls. AOL users share a couple IP addresses so after the first vote the rest of the millions of AOL users are locked out.

Very good point. One I forgot to mention because i forgot it.
Thanks for bringing it back up Wizbang.

- Auron

[Email] [WWW]
Anonymous

I guess that the question could be how to let people view the original page by default and when trying to vote again they can get the double voting message. In such a way, there is no problem to keep the cookies for 96h and still view the voting page (without being able to vote again) or the results.

Forum Index » Support Forum
Go to:   
Based on the open source JForum