If you are not registered or logged in, you may still use these forums but with limited features. Show recent topics
  [Search] Search   [Hottest Topics] Hottest Topics   [Members]  Member Listing   [FAQ]  FAQ 
[Register] Register / 
[Login] Login 
Need Help On Free Link Page  XML
Forum Index » Support Forum
mshmethu

I have a problem with Free link page, after installation when I tried to add a link it is says;

"Cannot create ID file links_id.txt in /home/usr/you/links. Please check your base directory."

which is my base directory and what to do there? also want to know about a .txt file which is in the links directory, is there anything to do?

anyway, where have to upload links directory? I upload it in to public_htlm dir. anybody tell me something please!
Anonymous

If you can figure out the right directory path then this link might help you.

http://byf.nl/post.php?action=reply&fid=34&tid=1462

Change usr to 'public_html' and change you to 'your website address'

It took me a day but I figured it out.
aluminumlady
Beginner

I took your suggestion to load up the link page instead of using your guestbook for a link page. I should know when you say in the instructions that it is easy, it is not. I have been trying for two days to get this thing to work. It won't take any info. It can't seem to find the cgi-bin. The path can't be that complicated.
[WWW]
Carbonize
Master
[Avatar]

I think Amber is familiar with this script. Will email her to ask her.

Carbonize
I am not the maker of the Advanced Guestbook

get Lazarus
[Email] [WWW] [Yahoo!] aim icon [MSN] [ICQ]
amber222
Graduate

mshmethu wrote:I have a problem with Free link page, after installation when I tried to add a link it is says;

"Cannot create ID file links_id.txt in /home/usr/you/links. Please check your base directory."

which is my base directory and what to do there? also want to know about a .txt file which is in the links directory, is there anything to do?

anyway, where have to upload links directory? I upload it in to public_htlm dir. anybody tell me something please!

You need to change the information in the links.pl file that goes in the cgi directory. This is in the readme file that came with the script. (Incidentally, I had to change the name to links.cgi because my server doesn't recognize the .pl extension.)

Open links.pl (or links.cgi) and edit the info in lines 17 thru 27. This is the code I am using, and everything works fine:

In the above example, replace all instances of "yourwebsite.com" with your actual website info. You will see that I changed the url from "localhost" to the actual site address. That's because when I used "localhost" it added the links fine but returned a 500 error message when it finished adding the link. Also, using "localhost," it seems to get lost when trying to go to Admin.

In the code that refers to base directory, replace (your userinfo) with your site admin username, which I believe is what is typically used to access CPanel.

Then, you also need to open links/addlink.html and edit line 93:

Chmod addlink.html to 755.

If the links.pl file gets changed to links.cgi, then you also need to change .pl to .cgi in all of the above code.

It is not mentioned in the readme file, but I had to change permissions on links_id.txt and all of the links pages starting with "ffa" (ffa-business.html, etc.) to 666.

To get to Admin, go to : http://www.yourwebsite.com/cgi-bin/links.pl?admin=enter

(Don't forget to change .pl to .cgi if necessary)

The default admin password is: 123

It ain't much to look at, is it?

To correct the misspelling of the word "title", edit line 292 of cgi/links.pl.

To change the Admin password, edit line 33 of cgi/links.pl.

Hope this helps.
aluminumlady
Beginner

Sorry it didn't work. The form will not take the information.

Recycling - The ability to see good in everything
[WWW]
aluminumlady
Beginner

If the default page is

# default index page of your choice
$index_url = "http://www.website.com/links/ffa-business.html";

Then should the page that it goes to if it doesn't work be
http://www.aluminouspublishing.com/links/ffa-business.html

Well my goes to http://www.aluminouspublishing.com/cgi-bin/links.cgi and shows my default page.

[WWW]
amber222
Graduate

It appears you have the wrong information stored in the links.cgi file. Upload the original links.pl file to your server's cgi-bin again. Then, change the name to links.cgi. Then edit the information in the file as per the instructions above.

If you want to check your cgi-bin/links.cgi file, it should start out like this:

aluminumlady wrote:
That's a little vague. I needed to know what to type in Mime. Found it in Google
Extension: cgi pl
MIME Type: application/x-httpd-cgi
However, it still doesn't work!

I don't know about the code you mentioned in your other post quoted above, but it is not necessary to accomplish this. Could it be something that needs to be undone?
aluminumlady
Beginner

I copied and pasted what you wrote into my links.pl and deleted the links.pl in the cgi-bin and upload the new one with the new text, changed the name to links.cgi.
fixed the link in addlink.html Changed all the permissions. Sorry still doesn't work. I had even change the link in in contact box already.
My friend put this up on her site and it worked perfect. She has helped me with mine and she doesn't know why it doesn't work.

[WWW]
aluminumlady
Beginner

This link to the admin doesn't work either.
http://www.aluminouspublishing.com/cgi-bin/links.cgi?admin=enter

[WWW]
amber222
Graduate

Sorry, there is nothing more I can tell you. Could this be a redirect in place or something like that? Perhaps you should check with your host.
aluminumlady
Beginner

Thanks for all your help anyway. It is hard to help so far away and not be able to see their computer. I may try the free links page again later. Clear my head. I am using the guestbook for a link page. It is working great so far. I just use name, email (hidden), homepage, banner and comment and change location to speciality (category) I put a link in html at the end of the description to the link I have on their website. I like the note sent to the linker. But most of all I like the email sent to me. I put them in a folder in case I lose the links. It has all the info I need. You never know. I haven't had good luck with these scripts.
The weird thing is, I added an entry in the guestbook and the entry attached to the last entry, moved it to the side and created a black square while putting the edit and delete button in the entry square instead of in a box by themselves. I have to delete the entry and re-enter it. I can't figure out why it does it sometimes, but not all the time.

[WWW]
Carbonize
Master
[Avatar]

HTML in the post?

Carbonize

get Lazarus
aluminumlady
Beginner

Yes the Comment section.
Check it out at
http://www.aluminouspublishing.com/addurl
Let me know if I am messing things up.

[WWW]
Carbonize
Master
[Avatar]

Can't see anything wrong. Is it in the admin section?

Carbonize

get Lazarus

Forum Index » Support Forum
Go to:   
Based on the open source JForum