If you are not registered or logged in, you may still use these forums but with limited features. Show recent topics
  [Search] Search   [Hottest Topics] Hottest Topics   [Members]  Member Listing   [FAQ]  FAQ 
[Register] Register / 
[Login] Login 
How can I integrate my guestbook into an existing site?  XML
Forum Index » Support Forum
Carbonize
Master
[Avatar]

Have a look at this and then view the source. I have explained as best I can in the comment tags. http://carbonize.co.uk/template.html

BTW http://www.vickiwillingham.com/ looks fine in Internet Explorer at 800x600 but has a problem in Firefox/Mozilla web browsers.

Carbonize
I am not the maker of the Advanced Guestbook

get Lazarus
[Email] [WWW] [Yahoo!] aim icon [MSN] [ICQ]
Anonymous

Carbonize wrote:Have a look at this and then view the source. I have explained as best I can in the comment tags. http://carbonize.co.uk/template.html

BTW http://www.vickiwillingham.com/ looks fine in Internet Explorer at 800x600 but has a problem in Firefox/Mozilla web browsers.

Thanks, I know it's not ok with the whole cross browser compatibility right now - something I plan to work on once I know exactly what I'm doing.

Once everythings set up properly I'll get it W3C'd!
Carbonize
Master
[Avatar]

Anonymous wrote:Once everythings set up properly I'll get it W3C'd!
Also the one page with the W3C valid logo on actually isn't. Anyway I hope the link I posted proves useful.

Carbonize

get Lazarus
Anonymous

Carbonize wrote:
Also the one page with the W3C valid logo on actually isn't. Anyway I hope the link I posted proves useful.

Yeah I know that too...I have to take it off. It was validated, the whole site was till I started messing about.

I'm still not sure I understand even with the help of your code. I copied the menu code into the body.php file but nothing happened. I'm sure I'm missing something really obvious.
Anonymous

Carbonize wrote:

Yeah I know that too...I have to take it off. It was validated, the whole site was till I started messing about.

I'm still not sure I understand even with the help of your code. I copied the menu code into the body.php file but nothing happened. I'm sure I'm missing something really obvious.
Carbonize
Master
[Avatar]

Try copying the menu code into the header.php after the body tag.

Carbonize

get Lazarus
Anonymous

Carbonize wrote:Try copying the menu code into the header.php after the body tag.

Hmm...thanks it seems really clear I just seem to be having problems understand it all.

I uploaded all the files to the surver is this correct? When I change the php files in DW (it's my default PHP editor/viewer apparently) then view design it just looks a mess. Having no experience with PHP yet I don't know if this is correct or not.

Also...and this is going to seem like a really daft question...where do I find my guestbook? I have all the files of course, and was under the impression that I had to alter my HTML code to link to the guestbook in order to see it. Is this right/wrong?

Maybe I should just give in to failure and leave the guestbook idea well alone!
Carbonize
Master
[Avatar]

Where did you upload the guestbook to? What is th ename of the folder it is in?

Carbonize

get Lazarus
Anonymous

Carbonize wrote:Where did you upload the guestbook to? What is th ename of the folder it is in?

Via CoreFTP.

I uploaded to htdocs/guestbook files/ within my site directory.
Carbonize
Master
[Avatar]

so www.yoursite.com/guestbook%20files/ ?

Carbonize

get Lazarus
Anonymous

Carbonize wrote:so www.yoursite.com/guestbook%20files/ ?

The folder name is guestbook (changed the name) but http://www.vickiwillingham.com/guestbook does nothing.

I think I'm getting some help from Amber so hopefully will get it right soon.
Jared
Student

Actually you don't have to use the header and footer.php files. You can hard code the index.php, addentry.php and comment.php files to your sites global includes.

Basically you will open up index.php file, and at the top you will put

then at the end of the code you will put

do this for the other two files, and you will be good to go.

The above system requires that your entire site runs on a template system. The advantage being that you only have to ever modify a couple of files to have it propagate the entire website. Guestbook included.

Otherwise, doing a link update might take a long time, if you have to edit many many templates.
[WWW] [Yahoo!] [MSN]
Carbonize
Master
[Avatar]

the disadvantage is that it prevents the header being sent when a comment is submitted.

Carbonize

get Lazarus
JTD
Graduate

*BUMP*

LINK-> Use Lazarus Guestbook
[WWW] [Yahoo!] aim icon [MSN]
Grandson
Beginner

You can do this by going to the Pluginspage in your WordPress admin dashboard. Simply search the plugin name to get it. Once the plugin has been installed and activated, you will see a “Guestbook” tab located in the left side menu of the dashboard.I have done it when I was integrating my web design guestbook into an existing site.If you wanna get any other info about it visit know on our site.

Forum Index » Support Forum
Go to:   
Based on the open source JForum