If you are not registered or logged in, you may still use these forums but with limited features. Show recent topics
  [Search] Search   [Hottest Topics] Hottest Topics   [Members]  Member Listing   [FAQ]  FAQ 
[Register] Register / 
[Login] Login 
a newbies guide to placing the guestbook in an html page  XML
Forum Index » Support Forum
JTD
Graduate

And if you dont understand basic computers. I suggest you subscribe to something like the http://www.techtv.com Newsletters and atleast get a basic grasp. 4 years ago I couldnt turn one on. Let alone do anything else with it. If you are to lazy to learn then maybe you should let your grandkids have the pc. And go back to your rocker on the front porch. BTW Im 45 and we didnt even have computers in school. And Im no php guru but I do ask carb questions and learn small bits from him and others. READ AND LEARN. And useing the search option is not hard. Plugin your question and 99.9% you will find your answer.

LINK-> Use Lazarus Guestbook
[WWW] [Yahoo!] aim icon [MSN]
The Critic
Beginner
[Avatar]

JTD wrote:And if you dont understand basic computers. I suggest you subscribe to something like the http://www.techtv.com Newsletters and atleast get a basic grasp. 4 years ago I couldnt turn one on. Let alone do anything else with it. If you are to lazy to learn then maybe you should let your grandkids have the pc. And go back to your rocker on the front porch. BTW Im 45 and we didnt even have computers in school. And Im no php guru but I do ask carb questions and learn small bits from him and others. READ AND LEARN. And useing the search option is not hard. Plugin your question and 99.9% you will find your answer.

You Sir are clearly over matched! I built my first computer when we didn't even have keyboards! we input data with switches! longt before you were a glimmer in your pappys eye, as to my rocker ...don't you worry about it, try learning some intelligent communication skills so you don't come off as such a first class (read no class) schmuck. Like I told Amber if you don't like the way folks request help ignore their requests instead of being a wise ass and telling them you'll help them for $50.00. Who the hell do you think you are? Some great forum gruru? Feel free to ignore any post I enter, as you clearly do not have the intelligence to hold a respectful line of communication. You're just another member here buddy not some self appointed demi-god. It's smart assed young pups like you that make the world such a miserable place!
When you come to engage in a battle of wits, be sure to arrive with siomething other than half, dim and nit!
End transmission
Carbonize
Master
[Avatar]

Children settle down. This is a forum for helping not a "my daddies bigger than your daddy" fight. If we wish to discuss who was around computers for the longest I will happily join in but I am not here for that.

Carbonize
I am not the maker of the Advanced Guestbook

get Lazarus
[Email] [WWW] [Yahoo!] aim icon [MSN] [ICQ]
The Critic
Beginner
[Avatar]

Carbonize wrote:You have to understand that we get a lot of pepole asking questions on here tht have been asked and answered time and time again. We get a little irritated. If you need a little one on one help you can email me or contact me via any of the messengers listed below

Rest assured I do understand, as do I also understand the "Irritation"
However .........there are those that reply with intelligence and respect, such as yourself.
Then there are those that wouldn't know respect if it jumped up and bit them in the ass. Those are the types that need to get a life, instead of bitchiong about the habits of other users and the mistakes that they perceive the other users making! They should go out and get a job.,.,.do something to justify their existence on the planet, something worthwhile.

I get paid very well to be an asshole and criticize, so I can afford what I do even though I do it very sparsely at global, they're new but they'll grow and they reward me quite well,
At anyrate thank you for your input, understanding and offer of help

Warmest regards
TC

Is there really any need for huge red type?
JTD
Graduate

Is there really any need for the mispelling of words. bitchiong, longt, siomething

LINK-> Use Lazarus Guestbook
[WWW] [Yahoo!] aim icon [MSN]
The Critic
Beginner
[Avatar]

JTD wrote:Is there really any need for the mispelling of words. bitchiong, longt, siomething

Thank you for making my case and point so elequently
Carbonize
Master
[Avatar]

. o O ( Do I hack this forum to make myself Admin so I can deal with certain childishness )

Carbonize

get Lazarus
The Critic
Beginner
[Avatar]

Carbonize wrote:. o O ( Do I hack this forum to make myself Admin so I can deal with certain childishness )

Do what I do ...ignore the child
Warmest regards
TC
Auron
Expert
[Avatar]

The Critic wrote:
Carbonize wrote:. o O ( Do I hack this forum to make myself Admin so I can deal with certain childishness )

Do what I do ...ignore the child
Warmest regards
TC

Then why didn't you ignore this thread to begin with?

Most people just post and expect an answer when they come back they
don't expect you to say search the forums so we don't have to waste time
itterating the same things over and over again. I would also like to stress
we're doing this for free. The guy who had a problem offered money we
didn't ask so that's his problem.

If you don't have a solution to the problem then don't bother replying. After
all this is a 'Support' forum not a spam-fest.

Auron

Visit my site @ www.ragnaru.com
Adv. Poll Install Guide NOW BACK ONLINE! (And also rather out of date I would of thought)
[Email] [WWW]
fatjacK
Student
[Avatar]

The advanced guestbook is a beautiful addition for many sites.
I, like many others I suspect, stumbled upon it as it was provided for install by my ISP
Up until I installed it my only experience was with html, css and 48 hours trying to get a simple form to email script working.

I asked those irritating questions on this forum and got the one liner replies but I was never ignored. Carbonise, Amber222 and others enabled me to get the AGB the way I wanted it and yes I learnt a little about php & cgi on the way.

They did not demand payment and I have never needed to phone a premium rate help line (if one existed)

My original post in this thread was my effort to pass on what I had learnt while still enough of a newbie not to take for granted prior experience of tweaking forms etc.

It may have been a clumsy attempt but I know at least one person managed to follow them - so the post was worthwhile.

With the help of contributors to this forum I have managed to produce two guestbooks. One merged into the site using the header & footer adjustments the other as described above. I have managed to import the data from another guestbook to AGB on my drrinK! site. I have made the email a required field on my flynns bee farm site and then used carbonizes method of encrypting the email address to help protect visitors from resulting spam. As well as other mods that I won't bore you with here but when I was stuck I would post to this forum and receive either a complete solution or a one line prod in the right direction often within minutes of posting.

My repayment for this help is to put my two-penneth in occasionally on this forum safe in the knowledge that if I'm wrong someone will tell.

http://www.jrmmusic.co.uk/gbook/index.php
http://flynnsbeefarm.co.uk/GuestBook/index.php
[Email] [WWW]
Auron
Expert
[Avatar]

I speak on behalf of Carbonize, Amber, Myself and the others, thanks for your kind and encouraging words fatjack.

Auron

Visit my site @ www.ragnaru.com
Adv. Poll Install Guide NOW BACK ONLINE! (And also rather out of date I would of thought)
[Email] [WWW]
amber222
Graduate

Like I told Amber if you don't like the way folks request help ignore their requests instead of being a wise ass and telling them you'll help them for $50.00.

I've been offline the past few days and missed the fun! Just arriving here, I don't know where you told me this... but I am certain I have never asked anyone for $50. I have fixed a lot of guestbooks, installed even more, but I have never asked anyone for anything.

I am no "wise ass." I am merely trying to encourage people to use the search feature - as nicely as I can - which is extremely difficult what with all the sensitive egos around. I certainly wouldn't be offended if someone suggested the search feature. If someone mentioned the question was just recently answered I would be grateful knowing that I will be able to find it by looking - and if I were offended, I certainly wouldn't write about it and let the whole world know I'm on an ego trip.

Remember why we're here: to learn something. If what you learned is to use the search feature, what's the harm in that?

Yes, Carbonize... can you get in here? We desperately need some stickies. I doubt people will be as offended by a sticky that reads "do a search first."
Anonymous

HI, I just wanted to weigh in regarding Amber222. I have a website at http://www.diabetesrun.com and my guestbook was hacked pretty badly. I know nothing about computers (this does not make me a bad person) and my webmaster was at a loss as to how to fix the guestbook --when along came amber2222 - she took care of my guestbook and never asked for a penny - i even offered to give her money but she refused. She saved my website's guestbook without asking for anything in return and I am extrmemlygreatful - so those of you cl;aiming she charges for her services are mistaken...
-JaseGross
Carbonize
Master
[Avatar]

Personally I'd say sack your webmaster for installing a script they knew nothing about. Unless of course they did it for free given that your site is for charity.

Carbonize

get Lazarus
Anonymous

I've known Amber for a while now, and calling her "wise ass" is completely offensive and ridiculous. I created & run a large reptile website (blue tongue skinks.net), and had several problems with guestbook hacking. She offered to re-design the hacked section, and even spent several hours on the phone with me free of charge. She of course never asked for a cent, that's just the kind of person she is, so naturally when a bone head comes along and calls her names like a sissy safe behind his keyboard, it tends to anger me a little. I'm in debt to her, and will always offer my web design services free of charge to her; Simply because of her willingness to help and not expecting anything in return.

On a lighter note (and other than this thread) I'm enjoying learning all the info on the forum! Thanks!

Forum Index » Support Forum
Go to:   
Based on the open source JForum