If you are not registered or logged in, you may still use these forums but with limited features. Show recent topics
  [Search] Search   [Hottest Topics] Hottest Topics   [Members]  Member Listing   [FAQ]  FAQ 
[Register] Register / 
[Login] Login 
Guestbook MySQL database transfer  XML
Forum Index » Support Forum
Anonymous

Hi,
I have a Guestbook php installed and running and I have a lot of people that posted lots of pictures and comments already. I want to move to another webhost. What do I have to do to transfer all my data to the new webhost without loosing anything. Thank you
Auron
Expert
[Avatar]

Maybe you could save it to your PC or get your current host to email you the database file/s so you could give it to your new host to stick in the right place so you can access it again.

Auron

Visit my site @ www.ragnaru.com
Adv. Poll Install Guide NOW BACK ONLINE! (And also rather out of date I would of thought)
[Email] [WWW]
Anonymous

go to www.mysql.com and download MySQL Control Center, which is a graphical MySQL client. Use MySQLCC, connect to your old MySQL server and right click on the table you want to save, then select Open Table -> Return All Rows. Once the table is open then you can click on the Save icon, then select save result, not save query. Now your table is saved, and you need to find a way to upload the data onto your new MySQL server. I think MySQL CC has the capability to do that, but I haven't tried.
Auron
Expert
[Avatar]

Of course!!! Why didn't I think of that brilliant idea cj that will work since you can save the files to your PC and then use them to create the new database and uploading hte exsisting tables and their data. Yeah it should work. Might take you a while to get the hang of the Control Center thing but in theory it should work.

Auron

Visit my site @ www.ragnaru.com
Adv. Poll Install Guide NOW BACK ONLINE! (And also rather out of date I would of thought)
[Email] [WWW]
.: JAY :.
Beginner
[Avatar]

Why not use PHPMyAdmin for that?
Very simple to use and you can restore you old database with just selecting the .sql file on your computer.
[WWW] [MSN]
Anonymous

what are the steps to get data from one webhost to another with myphpadmin? Thank you
.: JAY :.
Beginner
[Avatar]

Sorry for the delay but my server was down for about a week
It's easy as this:

1. Once you are logged in PHPMyAdmin select the database that you want to extract from the drop-down menu on the left side of the screen.
You'll get a table listing from that database.

2. In the upper menu on the right side of the screen should be "EXTRACT" tab. Click that.

2. On the final screen you will be presented with options for saving the file to your computer. Make sure that you select "Structure and data" option, select all tables and check the "Save as file" box. Here you can zip the file if you want.

That's it.

Now for restoring your database on a new server.

1. Create new database

2. Repeat step one from the previous tutorial.
Click on "SQL" tab in the menu.

3. Locate the backup file on your cumputer.

And now you can call yourself SQL master
If you have any problems let me know.
[WWW] [MSN]
Anonymous

dude you rock, i was so afriad that i was going to loose all 170+ entries and they were going to be pissed. i called my hosts tech support and they had no clue. thanks again

www.gcwband.net
Anonymous

I am trying to install php my admin but I keep on getting the message

The host name is empty!

which it is not...
Anonymous

Anonymous wrote:I am trying to install php my admin but I keep on getting the message

The host name is empty!

which it is not...
amber222
Graduate

I get to PhpMyAdmin through CPanel. Do you have CPanel? What host are you with, or are you setting up your own server?

These and other helpful posts are listed in the sticky message:

• Make a backup .sql file of guestbook entries:

Export/Import MySQL Database:
    http://proxy2.de/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3580&highlight=sql

Where is the guestbook database?:
    http://proxy2.de/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2761&highlight=sql
  •  
    Forum Index » Support Forum
    Go to:   
    Based on the open source JForum