If you are not registered or logged in, you may still use these forums but with limited features. Show recent topics
  [Search] Search   [Hottest Topics] Hottest Topics   [Members]  Member Listing   [FAQ]  FAQ 
[Register] Register / 
[Login] Login 
Advance Poll 203  XML
Forum Index » Support Forum
Johnb

Dear All,
I am completly new with Php and I would to install these wonderful script.
Is anybody from you so kind and patient to explane how to include the poll in a normal html page and what should correctly do to set up everthing?
Apart the use of a tag <?php ?> I am not able to do anything else.

Thanks for your help.
Regards
John
Auron
Expert
[Avatar]

you can try my guide from my sig. some1 from here has used
it to install Adv. Poll 2.0.3 even though I wrote it for 2.0.2.

Hope that helps.
Auron

Visit my site @ www.ragnaru.com
Adv. Poll Install Guide NOW BACK ONLINE! (And also rather out of date I would of thought)
[Email] [WWW]
Anonymous

I was just fishing around and found this site and installed the poll with your instructions and I was able to get into the admin and everything (also thanks for the FTP also, my WS_FTP LE wasn't cutting it). However in the admin area, none of the images are working (above the Poll List, Create a New Poll, General Setting, etc.). Also at the top is Advanced Poll 2.03 and there are 3 images on the right that do not show up. Any suggestion? Wrong folder I'm assuming. But I just copied like you said in the instructions. Thanks.
Auron
Expert
[Avatar]

np, go to settings then general settings.
Find the img path box and keep playing
around with it until the images show up.

Auron

Adv. Poll Install Guide NOW BACK ONLINE! (And also rather out of date I would of thought)
[Email] [WWW]
Anonymous

Ok, got the images working. Thanks. Cannot get the poll to show up though. Read through as much as I can. Here's a URL of a page I tried to install it on. See any problems?

Thanks.

http://socalsoftball.com/poll2/
Auron
Expert
[Avatar]

change pages extension to .php
make sure you got the correct path to booth.php

Auron

[Email] [WWW]
Anonymous

Sweet. Renaming worked. It didn't work by just typing in the URL/poll2 where the poll actually was. I had to type the address completely URL/poll2/index.php for the poll to actually show up. Strange to me, but I'm new to programming so.... anyway, just typing the website address with the index.* file name always pulled up index as a default, but like I said it didn't pull the poll up (it did however pull some verbage I had on the page) until I typed the rest of the index.php.

Ok, I haven't tried, but what if I want to poll in a different directory, or more than one poll on different pages on the site. For instance, maybe I want to keep the files in my poll2 directory, but on my main page I want to add the poll? Will that work? Also, can I create a poll and put it on another website? I'm thinking yes if I point the path back to my website, but maybe not. Can I?

Thanks again for your help.
Anonymous

Ok, answered the first part about putting a poll on a different page on my site.

I did try to put the poll on another site I maintain, totally hosted at a different ISP and it didn't work. I tried to substitute the path with http://www.... instead of /www/b/.... that originally was there and works on my site. Is this the correct way, or will it not work at all? Not even sure if the host has PHP support, if that's even necessary.
Auron
Expert
[Avatar]

the other host does need php working otherwise it can't execute the
include code to get the file from your original server. Maybe your second
server has some hotlinking protection or something like that in place.

You can put a different poll on every web page if you want. Just use the
full path to it. Shown in the Admin area under the last link at the top.

Auron

[Email] [WWW]
Anonymous

Auron wrote:you can try my guide from my sig. some1 from here has used
it to install Adv. Poll 2.0.3 even though I wrote it for 2.0.2.

Hope that helps.
Auron

Thanks for the suggestions.
Everythings seems work properly even if I still don't know much about PHP. It takes quite a lot to set up, but finally....

Thanks again
John
Auron
Expert
[Avatar]

No problem.

Glad you got it all sorted and working.
I know what you mean, PHP is an abosolute ^£(*"&^! when you have to set it up.

Auron

[Email] [WWW]
Anonymous

I have downloaded and been able to get the poll to work thanks to the directions from Auron's web site. Thanks for taking the time.

A few question if I might though! I am getting a CGI error when I hit the comments button that says "The specified CGI application misbehaved by not returning a complete set of HTTP headers. The headers it did return are:" and there is nothing after that. Any suggestions?

My hosting company is Ready Hosting.

Also, I was wanting the voter to be able to enter his name from under the voting box like in this example http://wipkip.biz/polls/poll_26.php

I noticed after downloading version 2.0.3 of Advanced Poll that the interface says 2.0.2, is this an oversight or do I actually have the incorrect version some how?

Thanks
Auron
Expert
[Avatar]

htown wrote:I have downloaded and been able to get the poll to work thanks to the directions from Auron's web site. Thanks for taking the time.

No problem. ^_^

htown wrote:A few question if I might though! I am getting a CGI error when I hit the comments button that says "The specified CGI application misbehaved by not returning a complete set of HTTP headers. The headers it did return are:" and there is nothing after that. Any suggestions?

My hosting company is Ready Hosting.

Does the comments page actually load up? Or does it just display that error or a 404 error?
If its either make sure you specify the 'full' path to the poll.

Eg.

should be...

Apart from doing that I'm stumped on that one. Are you using a PHP include
or an SSI one?

htown wrote:Also, I was wanting the voter to be able to enter his name from under the voting box like in this example http://wipkip.biz/polls/poll_26.php.

Go to free scripts -> demo adv. poll -> demo 4 near the bottom.

htown wrote:I noticed after downloading version 2.0.3 of Advanced Poll that the interface says 2.0.2, is this an oversight or do I actually have the incorrect version some how?

I haven't actually installed version 2.0.3... yet. All my ideas and my guides
were written for 2.0.2 but as people are finding them useful the changes
between 2.0.2 and 2.0.3 must be only small fixes and no new features.
I would most likely presume this is an oversight. You do have the correct version in short, so no worries there!

Hope it all works out!

Auron

[Email] [WWW]
Anonymous

Go to free scripts -> demo adv. poll -> demo 4 near the bottom.

I am not sure what to do with this script? Does it go in my web page or do I need to impliment it into the TEMPLATES?

Thanks.
Auron
Expert
[Avatar]

You probably have *.php which has an include calling booth.php right?

Add after it...

And your done!

Auron

[Email] [WWW]

Forum Index » Support Forum
Go to:   
Based on the open source JForum