If you are not registered or logged in, you may still use these forums but with limited features. Show recent topics
  [Search] Search   [Hottest Topics] Hottest Topics   [Members]  Member Listing   [FAQ]  FAQ 
[Register] Register / 
[Login] Login 
Making email a required field in Guestbook 2.3.1  XML
Forum Index » Support Forum
mastersmurfie
Beginner

Hi all...back again with another delimma I hope someone can help me with. I have searched for an answer to this, but maybe I haven't made my searches clear.

I am looking for a way to make the email address in the "add entry" a required field, just like the "name" and the "your message" fields. I figured how to add the "*" next to it (E-Mail), but can't figure out where I need to make it required.

Any and all help much appreciated! If this has been answered before, please point me in the right direction.

thanks,

mastersmurfie
Trevor
Student
[Avatar]

Try this post...

<<<http://proxy2.de/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2877>>>.

You should be able to figure a solution, if not, post a message or email to guestbook at kahlil dot org and I'll try and look at it over the weekend.

Trevor
[Email] [WWW] [Yahoo!] aim icon [MSN] [ICQ]
mastersmurfie
Beginner

Thanks Trevor. I'll play with it over the weekend and see what I can come up with.

mastersmurfie
mastersmurfie
Beginner

Trevor wrote:Try this post...

<<<http://proxy2.de/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2877>>>.

You should be able to figure a solution, if not, post a message or email to guestbook at kahlil dot org and I'll try and look at it over the weekend.

Trevor

Trevor, thanks so much. A lot easier than I thought it would be. E-mail is now a required field in my guestbook.

thanks again,

mastersmurfie
Carbonize
Master
[Avatar]

Did you remember to add the email entry to the javascript to have it pop up the error box if it is not filled in?

Carbonize
I am not the maker of the Advanced Guestbook

get Lazarus
[Email] [WWW] [Yahoo!] aim icon [MSN] [ICQ]
mastersmurfie
Beginner

@Carbonize

Actually, no, I didn't. It goes to the "error page" and tells me to go back and make changes and submit again.

I'm still very new to this... and wasn't sure where to do that part. I'll mess around with that over the weekend, and see if I can pinpoint where it is.

mastersmurfie
mastersmurfie
Beginner

Now it seems that I've run in to another snag. I want to use my own "E-mail Notification Message". No problem changing the message in the General Options, however it seems that it is limited to a certain number of characters.

I have tried changing the panel_main.php:

<tr bgcolor="#f7f7f7">
<td width=50% valign=top>
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial"><b>E-mail Notification Message</b></font><br>
<font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">You can customize the exact wording for the message.
Edit the wording in the box to the right.</font>
</td>
<td width=50% valign=top>
<textarea rows="30" cols="40" wrap="virtual" name="notify_mes"><?php echo $this->VARS["notify_mes"]; ?></textarea>
</td>
</tr>

and can get the text area itself bigger, but no matter what I put, it seems it is limited to 121 characters. I assume (probably incorrectly)it has something to do with this: "$this->VARS["notify_mes"]; " ?????

but cannot find where to change this value.
mastersmurfie
Beginner

Please disregard my previous question. I finally found the answer.

Thanks again to all that helped

mastersmurfie
Anonymous

Sorry about this i cant seem to work out the code can someone please post the bit i am to change/add in.

With Thanks

Forum Index » Support Forum
Go to:   
Based on the open source JForum