If you are not registered or logged in, you may still use these forums but with limited features. Show recent topics
  [Search] Search   [Hottest Topics] Hottest Topics   [Members]  Member Listing   [FAQ]  FAQ 
[Register] Register / 
[Login] Login 
Lloyd's Advanced Guestbook 2.3.1 Mods  XML
Forum Index » General Discussion
lloyd_borrett
Beginner
[Avatar]

G'day...

Before installing Advanced Guestbook 2.3.1 to run on my web site at
http://www.borrett.id.au/guestbook, I set about making some changes to enable Advanced Guestbook to better suit my requirements.

First, I changed the layout and style of Advanced Guestbook to look similar to that used in the phpBB subSilver theme I was already using in the forums on my web site.

I then modified the Gender field to have a 'not specified' option.

Next I added fields for Yahoo and MSNM, plus an extensive collection of Smilies.

Finally, I added a Country field that displays the flag image of the selected country. (That's been a very popular option with my users.)

Others in these forums helped with specific problems I struck along the way, and in the modification information they had posted in earlier topics.

Thus, in this spirit of co-operation, I am making ALL of my modifications to Advanced Guestbook 2.3.1 available for downloading as a 605 Kb ZIP file at http://www.borrett.id.au/downloads/adv_guestbook_2-3-1_lrb_mods.zip.

In the ZIP you will find the file lrb_readme.txt, being an explanation of the modifications I have made. Please read that before you do anything with these modifications.

Please enjoy.

Best Regards, Lloyd.
[Email] [WWW] [Yahoo!] [MSN]
JTD
Graduate

Very nice LLoyd. But how about seperating those out. As it stands now your download involves Adding all the mods in one shot. Me myself I am just interested in the yahoo, msn and flags mod. With instructions ofcourse.

LINK-> Use Lazarus Guestbook
[WWW] [Yahoo!] aim icon [MSN]
lloyd_borrett
Beginner
[Avatar]

G'day...

Sorry, but I'm unlikely to get around to doing that.

Unfortunately I started my mods to Advanced Guestbook with the style changes. Thus by the time I got around to adding in Yahoo, MSNM and the country flag fields, my code and template files were somewhat different from the "standard" version.

If it had have been the other way around, I would have a version with just the additional fields to pass on. But I don't.

I guess if there are some new features in a future version of Advanced Guestbook that I want to implement, I would then tackle the upgrade process in a way to make my changes available in an incremental fashion. And I'd probably make my changes configurable options as well.

But right now, the only thing that might cause me to revisit the code is to implement the human verification process, should not having that in place be a problem with my guestbook.

So I'm afraid it's all or nothing for now.

Best Regards, Lloyd.
Carbonize
Master
[Avatar]

You have a couple of bugs in your guestbook. The first being that upon submitting an entry it takes you back to the addentry page rather than to the guestbook. The second is you have vertical scroll in your text inputs. Type something in then the hold down the left mouse button whilst on the input and move the mouse up and down.

Carbonize
I am not the maker of the Advanced Guestbook

get Lazarus
[Email] [WWW] [Yahoo!] aim icon [MSN] [ICQ]
lloyd_borrett
Beginner
[Avatar]

Neither of those things seem to be happening on my live implementation or my local test implementation.

On submit, I get the thank you page and then back to the guestbook. As should happen. Even if you preview and then submit, that same sequence still happens.

So I'm not sure as to why you would be getting something different.

I can see how the text input box thing could be a result of me having a CSS file that some style settings might be coming from, and you're not getting the same style settings. I didn't make sure all style settings were local to advanced guestbook. Some could be coming from my global site CSS file.
Carbonize
Master
[Avatar]

actually just looked at your gustbook and seen that my post got duplicated.

Just posted again and once again it returned me to addentry.php and doubled up my entry. Posted a test entry in mine and it worked fine.

Carbonize

get Lazarus
lloyd_borrett
Beginner
[Avatar]

What browser are you using?

It's working fine for me with IE 6.
Carbonize
Master
[Avatar]

IE 6 on Windows 2k with the googlebar installed (of course you could of told this by reading the alt text for the IE button)

Carbonize

get Lazarus
lloyd_borrett
Beginner
[Avatar]

Strange. I'm IE 6 on Win XP with Google Toolbar.

And you seem to be the only one generating duplicate entries.

My recent test entry, just after your first duplicated one, worked just fine.

Maybe it has something to do with the fields you entered.
Carbonize
Master
[Avatar]

I was thinking the same thing in which case it must be one of your mods. Do any of them return you to the addentry.php if not filled in/filled in incorrect?

Carbonize

get Lazarus
Carbonize
Master
[Avatar]

btw the scrolling text inputs maybe down to having the font size for inputs set to 9pt in the css.

Carbonize

get Lazarus
JTD
Graduate

Well It is now 2:48 am on July 29th, 2004 And I just posted on LLoyds guestbook. I had no problems what so ever. After I hit submit it took me right back to the GB main page with my entry right at the top.

LINK-> Use Lazarus Guestbook
[WWW] [Yahoo!] aim icon [MSN]
Carbonize
Master
[Avatar]

Checked again from home using Firefox 0.9.2 and it worked fine. So either you fixed the problem or the problem lay in my works network. At work I am sat behind a proxy but even so it shouldn't of produced that error.

Carbonize

get Lazarus
lloyd_borrett
Beginner
[Avatar]

G'day...

I haven't touched a thing.

I suspect you might have been on the right track about error handling. Maybe something you entered was causing it to go back to addentry as part of the error handling.

I'll take a look at what that might be sometime.

Regards, Lloyd.
Carbonize
Master
[Avatar]

I entered the same information when I was at home as when I was at work. I'm wondering if the works proxy didn't have something to do with it but then surely the flood filter should of kicked in. Oh well will give you something to do.

Carbonize

get Lazarus

Forum Index » General Discussion
Go to:   
Based on the open source JForum