If you are not registered or logged in, you may still use these forums but with limited features. Show recent topics
  [Search] Search   [Hottest Topics] Hottest Topics   [Members]  Member Listing   [FAQ]  FAQ 
[Register] Register / 
[Login] Login 
Export/Import MySQL Database  XML
Forum Index » Support Forum
Anonymous

I have just signed up with a new webhost. A friend installed the guestbook for me and I can quite figure out how to install a new guestbook but I have no idea how to export the database from my old webhost and import it into my new webhost. Never used phpMyAdmin before and I've looked at the phpMyAdmin documentation but it isn't user-friendly enough for me because I'm a total beginner with regards to databases. Can someone give me a simple guide on how to transfer my guestbook from my old webhost to my new webhost? Both of them provide full script support.

Thanks....

p.s.If we live in the same town(Kuala Lumpur), a beer's on me!
amber222
Graduate

If you have PhpMyAdmin, you can try this. Save the old database from the old server to your hard drive as a .sql file. Then use that .sql file (instead of the guestbook.sql file included in the program) to populate a newly created database on the new server.

• 1. On the old server, go into your Admin Panel, then PhpMyAdmin,
    and Export the .sql file of your existing database to your hard drive:

[list:ddce079862] On the left (blue) pane, click in the database box and Select the guestbook's database

When it finishes loading, on the right pane, click on the "Export" tab

When it finishes loading, (somewhere towards the bottom) you will see:

(checkbox) Save as file File name template: (remember template )*

You must check the box for Save as file, then click on the GO button

Follow the prompts to save it to your hard drive or other disk. Remember where you put the file. This is a backup of your existing database. Try not to mix it up with any other .sql files from a new copy of version 2.3.1. Alternatively, you could add something in the box after _DB_ to identify it, example: Save as file File Name template: _DB_old or _DB_date. The saved copy will automatically include the host's required user prefix, if any and the database name.

• 2. On the new server, go to PhpMyAdmin and create a new guestbook database. (Be sure to add the required info in admin/config.inc.php and set file permissions according to the instructions in the readme file)

3. In PhpMyAdmin, populate the new database:

• As in #1 above, select the new guestbook's database in the left pane.

On the right window pane, click on the "SQL" tab

Find the Sql box (somewhere near the bottom?), click inside the box, then click on "browse" and navigate to the place on your hard drive where you put the .sql file you created earlier. Once you have navigated to that file and it is shown in the box, click on ok.

After processing the task, you should get a successful result. If successful, the guestbook tables will appear in the left (blue) pane.

If there is a problem, you will get an error message. If you get an error message, please make note of it for future help.

• 4. On the left (blue) pane, click on Home

5. On the right pane, select log out

6. Close out the PhpMyAdmin window without navigating anywhere else (for security reasons)[/list:u:ddce079862]

Typing this now from memory without any visual aids, so be careful.
    Anonymous

Hi!

Thanks for replying to my query and the long answer!

Ok, bit by bit the guestbook is starting to look like what it was before. I had problems earlier on with the images and some other data that couldn't display but managed to get it all back. However, when I try to alter the templates in admin, these error messages appear :-

Warning: fopen(./templates/body.php): failed to open stream: Permission denied in /home/littleno/public_html/guestbook/lib/admin.class.php on line 193

Warning: fwrite(): supplied argument is not a valid stream resource in /home/littleno/public_html/guestbook/lib/admin.class.php on line 194

Warning: fclose(): supplied argument is not a valid stream resource in /home/littleno/public_html/guestbook/lib/admin.class.php on line 200

Give write permissions to the webserver on the template files!

I can't understand the last message because I have upped permissions for most files to 755 and public, tmp to 777. As for the rest, it is beyond me. What can I do?

P.S.I don't understand PHP.
    Anonymous

By the way, admin.class.php is already on 755 and I still can't rebuild/alter templates.
    amber222
    Graduate

Set permissions for the templates directory to 777. Set permissions for all files in the templates directory to be writable. 666 is suggested. I'm using 664, and it works fine.

http://proxy2.de/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2086&highlight=guestbook+templates+permissions

I have all the .class files at 644, which I believe is how they originally were.
    Anonymous

FYI, in future posts it would be good to X-out your server info, as:

/home/xxxxxx/public_html/guestbook/lib/admin.class.php on line 200
    Anonymous

Thanks amber. It works fine now. I changed permission of all template files(including the folder) to 777 and it worked. After I altered the templates to how I want it to look, I changed the permission of all those files to 666 but left the folder at 777.

By the way, is it possible to x out my server info above? Made a mistake there.....
    Auron
    Expert
    [Avatar]

You can't edit your posts if your a guest.

Auron

Visit my site @ www.ragnaru.com
    Adv. Poll Install Guide NOW BACK ONLINE! (And also rather out of date I would of thought)
    [Email] [WWW]
    Anonymous

but please bear with me

Can I use install.php to create the database on a new server or do I have to use PHPMyAdmin?

And if I can use install.php I'm assuming I would then just import the old database and overwrite the new one.
    Auron
    Expert
    [Avatar]

If you import a database from the old server to the new one there
    isn't much point making a new one with the install file if your just
    gonna overwrite it- to me that would be a complete waste of time.

- Auron

Visit my site @ www.ragnaru.com
    Adv. Poll Install Guide NOW BACK ONLINE! (And also rather out of date I would of thought)
    [Email] [WWW]
    Anonymous

i am trying to install advanced gbook myself and have got the files uploaded a db install and gbook conected to db

but...

MySQL Error : Query Error
    Error Number: 1146 Table 'spec.book_config' doesn't exist

I assume this meabs the db needs to be set up, how do i do this?
    I have used phpmyadmin once before but this host does not have it on the cpanel

Thanks
    amber222
    Graduate

Run the install.php file to create the db tables. You should have copied that file to your server, so in your browser address window point to it. Instructions are in the doc/readme.txt file, item #2:

Or use the script 'install.php' -> http://www.yourDomain.com/guestbook/install.php

After installation, be sure to remove the install.php file from your server.
    darrenabela
    Beginner

Hi AMber,

the problem I have is that the old host did not have a gui interface, I only have FTP access to the server. So have no phpadmin or SQL manager.

When I ftp to the site where the GB is working, the only folder I can see which may relate to the SQL side of things is :

/var/Darren

in here are many file ending .frm/MTD/MYI

I cant find any sql file which holds all of the posts...therefore dont know what to export....

any help would be great.
    [Email] [WWW]
    JTD
    Graduate

If you dont have php myadmin I dont think it is possible because you have to manually set up the database. Or are you real sure this host even provides you with any databases? Me personally i would dump that host in a heartbeat.

I cant find any sql file which holds all of the posts...therefore dont know what to export....

You cant export anyway without php myadmin.

LINK-> Use Lazarus Guestbook
    [WWW] [Yahoo!] aim icon [MSN]
    Takara
    Beginner

Thanks so much, Amber. I didn't have a new host I was going to. I just wanted to start over with the design of my guestbooks and the easiest way seemed to be to delete the existing guestbooks and re-install them but I didn't want to lose all of the entries. I followed your instructions and they worked perfectly. After going through so many links in that one thread I now know how to make the modifications I want correctly.

I am the culmination of one man's dream. This is not ego or vanity but when Dr. Soong created me he added to the substance of the universe. If...I am destroyed something unique, something wonderful will be lost.
    Lt. Cmdr. Data - The Measure of a Man
    [WWW]

Forum Index » Support Forum
    Go to:   
    Based on the open source JForum