If you are not registered or logged in, you may still use these forums but with limited features. Show recent topics
  [Search] Search   [Hottest Topics] Hottest Topics   [Members]  Member Listing   [FAQ]  FAQ 
[Register] Register / 
[Login] Login 
How to remove visitors email addresses from guestbook  XML
Forum Index » Support Forum
The Old Man
Beginner

Hi all,
I've been bothered by the way the otherwise excellent Advanced Guestbook displays e-mail addresses in the normal view. I think its a good thing to protect your vistors from e-mail address harvesting robots by preventing Guestbook from displaying them.

I think someone else asked about this elsewhere but I searched and couldn't find it.

To prevent Guestbook displaying e-mail address of visitors, make a backup of templates/entry.php then open entry.php in a text editor such as Notepad or Crimson Editor.

Then remove lines 15 to 17 inclusive.

Originally the section of entry.php looks like this:

Remove the lines:

So that the section looks like this:

Although the guestbook still asks for an e-mail address when someone signs it, its stored for Admin reasons but not displayed. if you need to see the e-mail address, its still displayed in the Easy Admin section of the Control Panel.

Hope this helps.
midnite

The e-mail address is also displayed under the "Comments" section, as the tiny little envelope icon. This will also enable robots and such to possibly steal the address again without anyone's permission.

Further down in the entry.php file is the "$EMAIL" variable.

... remove that, and there are truly no e-mails displayed.

TB

..love your life..
[WWW]
The Old Man
Beginner

That's great, thanks for that! Much appreciated.
Carbonize
Master
[Avatar]

Hate to be blunt but your visitors are obviously not concerned about being caught by a spam bot otherwise they would simply just not put the email address in. I suggest you still leave the option in but put a warning beneath the email field.

Carbonize
I am not the maker of the Advanced Guestbook

get Lazarus
[Email] [WWW] [Yahoo!] aim icon [MSN] [ICQ]
Anonymous

midnite wrote:The e-mail address is also displayed under the "Comments" section, as the tiny little envelope icon. This will also enable robots and such to possibly steal the address again without anyone's permission.

Further down in the entry.php file is the "$EMAIL" variable.

... remove that, and there are truly no e-mails displayed.

TB
Remove that and you wind up with a black background and nothing at all but the address book??? I am using 2.3.1 does it work here?
Carbonize
Master
[Avatar]

Think they just mean the $EMAIL part.

Carbonize
I am not the maker of the Advanced Guestbook

get Lazarus
[Email] [WWW] [Yahoo!] aim icon [MSN] [ICQ]

Forum Index » Support Forum
Go to:   
Based on the open source JForum