If you are not registered or logged in, you may still use these forums but with limited features. Show recent topics
  [Search] Search   [Hottest Topics] Hottest Topics   [Members]  Member Listing   [FAQ]  FAQ 
[Register] Register / 
[Login] Login 
New Program: WebExplorer  XML
Forum Index » General Discussion
JTD
Graduate

This application and statement was submitted by a friend of mine. Please give it a try. You might be pleasantly surprised. Here also is a working Demo of the application. Please feel free to check it out. Click-->*Demo*

If you have web hosting, then you should have had the joy of working with the default file manager. webExplorer was designed with the end user in mind, as it tries to mimic Windows Explorer. Instead of clicking on the image to view contextual options and the filename to open it, you can double click to open, single click (with extra keys like CTRL or SHIFT for multiple selects) to select, and right clicks to access contextual options. Files are displayed like the "Icon View" in Windows Explorer. It has all the features of a file manager, and it has support for multiple applications to open files, themes, and more icons. You can also access a "File Options" like dialog box to change how files and icons should be displayed. There are many more features to come, such as multiple user authentication (one application can manage many different directories). Eventually drag and drop and drag selection will be implemented as well. More applications to open files (i.e. WYSIWYG HTML editor) will also be developed. [Current version: 1.0b]
Here is a download of the app if you care to try it out. Click-->*WebExplorer.zip* And here is the link to vote for the application. You will need to register but that part is no big deal.
http://www.zend.com/php5/contest/contest.php?id=104&single=1

LINK-> Use Lazarus Guestbook
[WWW] [Yahoo!] aim icon [MSN]
Johncr
Beginner

Very nice... and vulnerable. I moved, killed, restored, unploaded some stuff and got some errors too. However, is it really useful to have such a vulnerable pseudo server? I can't envision any serious application for this code other than a php exercise.
JTD
Graduate

Johncr wrote:Very nice... and vulnerable. I moved, killed, restored, unploaded some stuff and got some errors too. However, is it really useful to have such a vulnerable pseudo server? I can't envision any serious application for this code other than a php exercise.

It is still in its early stages. But it can be password protected. The hope is to replace the normal file manager in a host's cpanel with this application. And please post any errors you get or pm them to me.

Johncr
Beginner

I couldn't replicate some errors, probably due to concurrency with other visistor(s) trying to read the same file. In one case I uploaded a file and tried to move it but dissapeared (it happened once). Anyway, click any mp3 file and you get some errors too.
JTD
Graduate

Yea we know about the mp3 part I have told him about it and there might be a fix for it already I havnt spoke to him yet.

Trevor
Student
[Avatar]

JTD,

Just had a quick play with the demo version. Pretty much everything seemed to work including MP3's and moving of file. Only strange thing is when I clicked the back button it reloaded a page but the text was much larger than it should have been (it was fine when originally viewed). Shouldn't that have loaded from the cache?

Only other thing was when downloading a file, first attempt it got blocked (I'm using XP with SP2 so that's normal) but it took 2 or 3 attempts to allow the download - but that may be more to do with SP2 than anything else.

I like the interface as it's so similar to Windows Explorer so is familiar to most. All my sites are with Yahoo so it's the same file manager, even though it's a real pain to use I'd still stick with it, main reason being that it's part of the hosting package so should be fully compatible. I've never really been one for using alternative programs, I tend to find they cuase more problems than they solve.

If I was confident it would work 100% then I'd probably use it.

If you're wanting any more feedback please let me know - I've got a site I abandonned a year back so can experiment with that, if it all goes pear-shaped it's no loss.

Regards,

Trevor
[Email] [WWW] [Yahoo!] aim icon [MSN] [ICQ]

Forum Index » General Discussion
Go to:   
Based on the open source JForum