If you are not registered or logged in, you may still use these forums but with limited features. Show recent topics
  [Search] Search   [Hottest Topics] Hottest Topics   [Members]  Member Listing   [FAQ]  FAQ 
[Register] Register / 
[Login] Login 
an applet for the teacher  XML
Forum Index » Support Forum
fatjacK
Student
[Avatar]

This probably does not belong in this forum but you seem a knowledgable bunch so I'll try it anyway.

I'm almost embarrassed to say I'm very attached to my scroller applet that sits on my homepage at the fun site http://www.fatjack.co.uk/drink. All the script requires is a “DJScroller.class” file, an archive “DJFiles.zip” file and a configuration “tengine.txt” loaded to the same directory as the calling html.

I'm now producing a site at http://www.flynnsbeefarm.co.uk/for a friend and want to install the applet on the "relaxation CDs" page. Got it working nicely locally I then uploaded all the relevant files only to get the "load: class DJScroller not found" error when viewing live.

To test the html I uploaded the flynns page to the drink web to see if it would call the .class and .zip file that reside there. It did.

So I re-uploaded the applet files and tried again no go. I carefully checked filenames & cases, uploaded all to the root directory - no go. Tried to contact the author of the script but the link is dead - tried javaboutique (where I originally downloaded the script) - no help but I did download a fresh batch of files in case of corruption.

I have tried uploading in ASCII as well as (the recommended) binary.
I have tried allowing all permissions to the files.
I have tried changing the directory.
I have tried uploading the bare html script in case another page element was interfering with it.

I've spent 24 hours on a silly scroller that I don't even know that I want on the site - but you know what its like - just can’t stand defeat after all this effort.

Please help if you can, all suggestions gratefully received.

Bet it's something silly.
[Email] [WWW]
Carbonize
Master
[Avatar]

As a quick fix have you looked at www.dynamicdrive.com ? thats a java site with everal scrollers on it.

Carbonize
I am not the maker of the Advanced Guestbook

get Lazarus
[Email] [WWW] [Yahoo!] aim icon [MSN] [ICQ]
fatjacK
Student
[Avatar]

Perfect for the quick fix thank you. The scripts seem much better there.

Though you know I'd still like to know what I was missing with the other it's a bit like giving up on a puzzle.

But thanks again for the tip, it looks a terrific resource.
[Email] [WWW]
Carbonize
Master
[Avatar]

Sounds like whichever part of the code was calling the applet it was pointing to the wrong place.

Carbonize

get Lazarus
fatjacK
Student
[Avatar]

Yeah it has to be that I suppose but the weird thing is when I uploaded the new page to where I'd previously successfully installed the applet it worked.

Then put exactly the same page back on the site I'm currently working on with all the files in the same directory, just the same as the first site it can't find the file.

Well I think I'll let it go now - found a much better solution on the site you suggested, all the script on the page and no $%&* applets.

Thanks Again
[Email] [WWW]
Carbonize
Master
[Avatar]

If you were using th elocal path such as /mnt/htdocs/thefile then it probably doesn't work because the system is different on the new servers.

Carbonize

get Lazarus

Forum Index » Support Forum
Go to:   
Based on the open source JForum