If you are not registered or logged in, you may still use these forums but with limited features. Show recent topics
  [Search] Search   [Hottest Topics] Hottest Topics   [Members]  Member Listing   [FAQ]  FAQ 
[Register] Register / 
[Login] Login 
Embed Guestbook in a html file using Frontpage with Themes  XML
Forum Index » General Discussion
RShort
Beginner

Question, I’ve installed the latest Guestbook unto my Server and it works great using a direct link via the index.php on my site. However, Since I’m using FrontPage with a Theme I wanted to embedded the Guestbook within an html file that contains Theme content. However, the Theme on the Webpage does not work correctly if I use carbonize’s header method (ie. http://proxy2.de/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3460 ) and rename the .htm file to .php file. For some reason FrontPage requires the webpage file to have a .html extension before the Theme will work correctly. I also tried FatJack's approach (ie. http://proxy2.de/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3921 )
where I embedded the index.php code into a new version of index.php file, but that doesn’t work properly either. Has anyone been able to embed the Guestbook within an html file using FrontPage with a Theme that could maybe provide some help and/or an example?

I’m fresh out of ideas now, so I hope someone can kindly assist so I can use this great Guestbook on my site.

Thanks,
Robert
Carbonize
Master
[Avatar]

www.carbonize.co.uk/template.zip download that, extract the html file, read the HTML.

Carbonize
I am not the maker of the Advanced Guestbook

get Lazarus
[Email] [WWW] [Yahoo!] aim icon [MSN] [ICQ]
RShort
Beginner

Carbonize, Thanks for the file, but I can already embed the PHP code into the html document and it works as I indicated. However, my problem is a little different in that if you embed the PHP code into an html document which contains FrontPage Theme tags (e.g. <meta name="Microsoft Theme" content="rs-wood-signs 1011, default"> and <meta name="Microsoft Border" content="tb"> it breaks the Theme menuing structure and it doesn’t work properly mainly I think because you have to rename the .html file to a .php extension in order for the GuestBook to work. Are you not familiar with FrontPage and how it uses Themes for custom menus? If I could execute the PHP code somehow without having to rename the file ext to .html it works. I’m I missing something here?

Is there anyone that has been successful in using the GuestBook code in a Webpage designed with MS FrontPage and a Theme?

Thanks…
Carbonize
Master
[Avatar]

What my template file says is to look at your sites html code, decide where you want the guestbook to appear,copy all the html from before that point into the header.php file and everything after to footer.php file. Then goto the guestbooks index.php page. If this fails (a link would be nice so I can try for myself) then I suggest trying a non frontpage menu. there are plenty of free dynamic menues on www.dynamicdrive.com

Carbonize

get Lazarus
RShort
Beginner

Thanks, I'm just going to use the index.php with some html code to link back to my home page since Frontpage Themes don't work properly with .php files in the navigation menu structure. I need to find out why probably from MS.
RShort
Beginner

I have solved this issue. For those interested in using the Guestbook embedded within an html file and using FrontPage Themes. You must do the following since FrontPage will not let you execute files with .php extensions if using themes as your main menu navigation structure. Instead you must edit the .htaccess file on your web server and add the following line "AddType application/x-httpd-php php3 html". With this change you can now keep the file linked in your theme navigation as a .html file and just add the <?php include('index.php'); ?> line to your .html file where you want the Guestbook to be. The Web server will now execute the guestbook PHP code within the html file even though your extension is .html. Microsoft does not make things easy…
Auron
Expert
[Avatar]

RShort wrote:.....Microsoft does not make things easy…

lol.

Visit my site @ www.ragnaru.com
Adv. Poll Install Guide NOW BACK ONLINE! (And also rather out of date I would of thought)
[Email] [WWW]
btray77

I know this is an old issue, but the issue didn't seem resolved to me.

I used Iframe SSI script I from DynamicDrive and Frontpage on my friends website (djsopaul.com) You cut and paste in frontpage under [HTML] tab as DynamicDrive sugests, don't bother editing the file name manually though. Click on the [Normal] tab, you will notice it will say cannot find externalpage.htm Right click and choose change inline frame properties, you can set the frame name here, and the file location, you will also have to change margins to 1 or whatever you want 0 will not work.

This example is with frontpage 2002

If you have any questions feel free to ask or you can go to djsopaul.com and click on GuestBook it pulls the information from djsopaul.com/GuestBook (case sensitive)

-brad
[WWW]
Carbonize
Master
[Avatar]

My advice is stop using Frontpage and use a decent wysiwyg editor (is there such a thing?) or learn HTML.

Carbonize

get Lazarus
Krusher

Thnx btray - I liked your idea and I've incorporated it into a website I'm doing for a town here in NJ. Check it out at:

http://www.wenonahnj.us

I like the auto resizing of the window, however, with IE, you have to click on refresh if you go to "sign the book" or else you don't see the whole input screen. Just a little annoyance though.

PS - don't be too hard on me if you visit the site, it's still under construction!

http://www.givemenames.com/

Forum Index » General Discussion
Go to:   
Based on the open source JForum