If you are not registered or logged in, you may still use these forums but with limited features. Show recent topics
  [Search] Search   [Hottest Topics] Hottest Topics   [Members]  Member Listing   [FAQ]  FAQ 
[Register] Register / 
[Login] Login 
Simple Anti Spam for Advanced Guestbook  XML
Forum Index » Support Forum
Carbonize
Master
[Avatar]

OK my image verification, whilst being good, doesn't work for everyone so here is a simple fix. This will only work until they catch on. This is written for 2.3.1. If you use 2.2 the idea is the same except instead of being called gb_name it is just called name. Open addentry.php and findnow in that line you want to add something to the end of the gb_name such as 123 to make them both read gb_name123. Please do not use 123 as this is just an example. If everyone adds the same then the spammers will just use that. The more abstract the better. Now open up templates/form.php and findand change every gb_book in there then findand again add the text onto the end of gb_name. Save both files and you're done. remember you MUST ADD THE SAME TEST TO THE END OF EVERY INSTANCE OF gb_name.

Next open lib/add.class.php and locateand again edit the gb_name.

If you are using the guestbook as a module in PHP Nuke or similar you neeed to also open index.php and edit

Carbonize
I am not the maker of the Advanced Guestbook

get Lazarus
[Email] [WWW] [Yahoo!] aim icon [MSN] [ICQ]
ET
Graduate

Look'n good Carbonize! Excellent (as per usual)!

---------------
Carbonize
Master
[Avatar]

Bump. Oh and this should work on 2.2 you just need to remember that apparently it uses just name instead of gb_name.

Carbonize

get Lazarus
Anonymous

Hi Carbonize.

Your verification script is brilliant and yet so simple to install. Hats off to you.

Have just installed here http://www.jasonwood.info/guestbook/index.php and it's working a treat!

I was having to get rid of around 3-4 spammed entries each day for Jason, but fingers crossed, I won't have to again!

Woody
Anonymous

i just made these changes to the two files, however, the form.php file i have has "gb_name" in three places and does not appear as you have quoted. i have guestbook 2.3.1.

i made the changes as follows in the three places in the form.php file. i used "v7e" as my add-on. can we use as many characters as we want?

}
function checkForm() {
document.book.gb_namev7e.value=trim(document.book.gb_namev7e.value);
document.book.gb_comment.value=trim(document.book.gb_comment.value);
if(document.book.gb_namev7e.value == "") {
alert("$LANG[ErrorPost1]");
document.book.gb_namev7e.focus();
return false;
}

i have been getting awful spam and am hoping your fix does the trick!

thanks,
white owl
white owl

i just found the line and made the change:

<td><input type="text" name="gb_namev7e" size="42" maxlength="30"></td>

so what about those other occurrances in this form.php file? do i leave those changes i made (previous post) or do i change those back?

white owl
Carbonize
Master
[Avatar]

Whoops thanks white owl. I forgot about gb_name in the javascript, yes change them as well.

Carbonize

get Lazarus
ET
Graduate

Ooooh - I didn't notice that either!!! Thanks!

---------------
Anonymous

thanks for the quickfix, hope it lasts for a while.

seems you forgot to mention the add.class.php.
there's a line

where you also have to replace gb_name by gb_name123.

If you don't do, the 'submit' from the 'preview' page results in an error (seems you forgot your name)
Carbonize
Master
[Avatar]

Fixed cheers.

Carbonize

get Lazarus
Carbonize
Master
[Avatar]

I suppose I could of gone for the simpler option (which I have in 2.3.2 (temp name)) of renaming the action variable instead. Far less changes to make then and the same in both versions I believe.

Carbonize

get Lazarus
Delia_35
Beginner

I tried to install the image verification but its not working right. The image verification row appears on the "Sign Guestbook" page, but the numbers that people are suppose to type in don't show up!
I've double checked everything, but I can't find the problem... Has anyone else had this problem? Any ideas how I screwed it up?? Here's the page: http://www.monetrox.com/gb/addentry.php
Thanks.
Delia_35
Beginner

OK. I *think* I'm a moron. I think the problem is that in addentry.php, where the instructions said
and replace it with
<?php
include("verify.php");
$include_path = dirname(__FILE__);

I actually copied and pasted that *exact* wording. I was suppose to replace the "__FILE__" thing, huh? Probably. What file is suppose to go there? hehe Sorry. I'm new at this.

EDIT: Never mind all. I'm just gonna reinstall the guestbook without the image verification.
Carbonize
Master
[Avatar]

I can send you the current beta version of 2.3.2 (temporary name). It has a simple anti spam method built in. It works fine and you simply replace your current guestbook files with the new ones. All you have to do is edit the config file.

Carbonize

get Lazarus
Delia_35
Beginner

I'd love to test that out, thanks. Email: heather.chambersATgmail.com

Forum Index » Support Forum
Go to:   
Based on the open source JForum