If you are not registered or logged in, you may still use these forums but with limited features. Show recent topics
  [Search] Search   [Hottest Topics] Hottest Topics   [Members]  Member Listing   [FAQ]  FAQ 
[Register] Register / 
[Login] Login 
mod_security caused my guestbook 'Forbidden 403 error'  XML
Forum Index » Support Forum
ttk_2k
Beginner

Forbidden
You don’t have permission to access /gb/addentry.php on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

——————————————————————————–

Apache/1.3.37 Server at www.***.com Port 80

I got above error suddenly yesterday whenever I was trying to leave a message on my guestbook (with the latest version).

Then I checked with my host, because I'm not good at server thing, I could not understand what exactly my host said, they just told me it's because the server has mod_security installed, and in order to solve this problem, I have to change the file name (hell I don't understand this too, don't know what's the problem of the 'file name' either, and had no idea what I had to do)..

Then I searched around on the web, and found a short-term solution, which is to add following lines into the file .htaccess:

Then I returned back to my host, and told them that by doing above helped solving my issue, however they quickly replied me, and said that they would soonly disable the ability for us as users to add above lines into .htaccess to disable mod_security due to the result those code lines could trigger server to be attacked.

Yet I wish to know, because the host will not allow us to use .htaccess to disable mod_security very soon, after that, is there any other solutions?

Thanks very much!
Carbonize
Master
[Avatar]

Wow what a shitty host. you can rename addentry.php to anythingyou wish just remember to also change the addentry.php entry in config.inc.php.

Carbonize
I am not the maker of the Advanced Guestbook

get Lazarus
[Email] [WWW] [Yahoo!] aim icon [MSN] [ICQ]
ttk_2k
Beginner

Great Carbonize!

(I can't believe you are so kindly helping people here everyday!!)

Just followed your guide, I have changed the file name and deleted the temporary .htaccess, everything is working perfectly and no more 'forbidden' error!

Thank you very much!!!
Carbonize
Master
[Avatar]

What sort of stupid security device just blocks access to any file called addentry.php unless the security mod they are using targets AG for some reason. Wish I knew who made it so I could find out.

Carbonize
I am not the maker of the Advanced Guestbook

get Lazarus
[Email] [WWW] [Yahoo!] aim icon [MSN] [ICQ]

Forum Index » Support Forum
Go to:   
Based on the open source JForum