If you are not registered or logged in, you may still use these forums but with limited features. Show recent topics
  [Search] Search   [Hottest Topics] Hottest Topics   [Members]  Member Listing   [FAQ]  FAQ 
[Register] Register / 
[Login] Login 
Adding a simple human verification test  XML
Forum Index » Advanced Guestbook Forum
Delarossa

Hello there,

I've been busy with this topic all day, but I can't seem to get it right. I did make the changes that are all over this thread I believe, but I still get the message: You forgot to fill in the Human Verification field. Please correct it and re-submit.

Please help me, I'm just a baby in this php stuff....

There are so many messages here and my english is just basic....I hope there is someone that wants to look at my files?

Greetings from Holland,
Delarossa
Carbonize
Master
[Avatar]

the only post you need to read is the first post as that is the instructions as simply as they can be put. Email me your addentry.php and a link to your site.

Carbonize
I am not the maker of the Advanced Guestbook

get Lazarus
[Email] [WWW] [Yahoo!] aim icon [MSN] [ICQ]
errorist
Beginner

as i was getting tired of the mass spamming of my guestbook, i've applied all the modifications mentioned on this forum. Didnt stop it. I now added the human verification, and i thought that would finally stop them. To my suprise, 3 more entries appeared in my guestbook today.
Im wondering, are these bots, or are there actually such lame people spamming personally?
Also i wondered, is there a possibility to take out the homepage field? That would make spamming kinda useless..
Carbonize
Master
[Avatar]

No taking out the homepage field would not stop spamming. Check this sites guestbook to see. If you are still getting spam after implementing the Human Verification it is down to one of three things

1 - They are being posted manually (rare but does happen).
2 - You have a second, unmodded, guestbook set up using the same database tables (I made this mistake).
3 - You missed something out in the modification and it is not working.

edit: Just looked and he's forgotten to remove the homepage field when he updated to 2.3.3 but for about a month he has not had it as an option.

Carbonize

get Lazarus
errorist
Beginner

i have no other guestbook. Its unlikely i missed out something as i did the changes very carefullly and doublechecked it, so it must be manual spammers.
-edit just looking at it, 2 identical postst both at different times cant be done by manual spammers. Is there any way somebody can see what's wrong?
jatsss

Hello guys can some of you contribute on how to automate or randomize the word? (default: "armadillo")

please help!

Thanks
Carbonize
Master
[Avatar]

This would not stop the spamming. If anything it would just be as simple. Right now all a spammer has to do is send the answer. To make it randomised we would have to send a marker to explain to the script which question/answer we are using and all the spammers would have to do is send the marker for the answer they are sending.

Carbonize

get Lazarus
BassX
Beginner

jatsss wrote:Hello guys can some of you contribute on how to automate or randomize the word? (default: "armadillo")

please help!

Thanks

Maybe I'm not understanding your question completely but it should be possible using CAPTCHA.

I integrated the VeriWord CAPTCHA class into Advanced Guestbook and went from ~20 Spams a day to 2-3 a month.

Here's the link:
http://www.phpclasses.org/browse/package/1768.html
Carbonize
Master
[Avatar]

There already is an image verification mod for the guestbook. The reason I chose to tell people to use this method is because this was easier to integrate and not all hosts have GD support.

Carbonize

get Lazarus
Takara
Beginner

Thank you for this, Carbonize. I have added it to both of my guestbooks and for the first time I've gone 24 hours without spam being added.

I am the culmination of one man's dream. This is not ego or vanity but when Dr. Soong created me he added to the substance of the universe. If...I am destroyed something unique, something wonderful will be lost.
Lt. Cmdr. Data - The Measure of a Man
[WWW]
ChrisFlyer

Hi can you pleae help me.

I have implemeented the Human verification and posting main messages is now protected. However, if I try and place a comment I get the following message:

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/chri172/public_html/forum/lang/english.php:110) in /home/chri172/public_html/forum/lib/comment.class.php on line 152

I can;t find an error.

By the way I'm using version 2.2

Any help most greatful

Thanks
Chris
Carbonize
Master
[Avatar]

How did you edit the language file because you have ended up with some space or new lines after the closing ?>

Carbonize

get Lazarus
fatjacK
Student
[Avatar]

The Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at . . .

Is usually caused by a blank line or "white space" at the end of an edited file.

Look for this in both the files mentioned in the error message

fatjacK
http://www.drrinK.co.uk
[Email] [WWW]
fatjacK
Student
[Avatar]

sorry carbonize crossed posts there
I'll butt out

fatjacK
http://www.drrinK.co.uk
[Email] [WWW]
Carbonize
Master
[Avatar]

Your help was valid so no need to apologise.

Carbonize

get Lazarus

Forum Index » Advanced Guestbook Forum
Go to:   
Based on the open source JForum