If you are not registered or logged in, you may still use these forums but with limited features. Show recent topics
  [Search] Search   [Hottest Topics] Hottest Topics   [Members]  Member Listing   [FAQ]  FAQ 
[Register] Register / 
[Login] Login 
Messages posted by: gypsylounge
Forum Index » Profile for gypsylounge » Messages posted by gypsylounge
I think this will be a long term solution to fight spam on your guest book.
I don’t know how but the spammers find our addentry.php, comment.php files and our www.yourpage.com/forum/ folder. On my site the addentry page is the number one entry page and comment is a close second.
I have changed the name of both addenty.php and the comment.php file and renamed the directory all of my guestbook is stored in. You need to update the config file to reflect all of the changes you make but this is pretty easy.
(Just to keep it interesting I have left a “forum” folder and two files titled addenty.php and comment.php in the folder. Instead of linking to my guest book the spammers are now welcomed by a giant picture of a can of spam that loops to the comment.php page and back. www.gypsylounge.com/forum/addentry.php . Hopefully this will slow them down a bit)
If you are having the same problems with spammers as I am I recommend you change the name of the directory and the name of those two pages.

Good luck,

Ryan
www.gypsylounge.com
It was great. A few months of only an occasional spam that was added manually. Now my guestbook is getting hammered by spam and there is no way they are all putting this in manually?

I like the idea of changing addenty.php to another name. Do I only have to change it in the config.php file?

Are there any other new ideas? I love the guest book but I hate having to manage it daily. There has to be an easier way.

Thanks,
Ryan
www.gypsylounge.com
Dammed spamers!
Somehow spamers are finding my addentry page without ever going to my home page. They are going directly to addentry leaving their spam and leaving.
1. Does anyone know how so many spamers find our addentry page? In six days I have had 2600 spamers enter my site at my addenty page.
2. Does anyone know how to block a page from entry? I mean can I force the spamers to go to my home page first? If the spam scum are all distributing a list of addentry pages in the spam scum community we are all getting our addentry pages hit directly.
3. Can the .htaccess file be modified to block entry pages.

Thanks for the help,
Ryan
www.gypsylounge.com
I've just upgraded and it works. Thanks!
Ryan
Thank you, Thank you, Thank you! It took a while to get it all working but no spam for a week!

Ryan
www.gypsylounge.com
I have installed the Human Verification code to my Advanced Guestbook 2.3.4 and it seems to work except for the fact that you can use any word in the verification field and the message will go through without going to the error message. What did I screw up this time???
Thanks for the help!
Ryan

Why are these people spamming all of our guestbook’s? How do they find our guest books? I have tried to search for mine using Google but can't. Is there a word that is being registered with search bots that is making it easy to find our guestbook’s?
OK... Don't freak out and get mad at me. I read the whole thread. All 11 pages. I have advanced guestbook 2.3.4 and am reciving a heap of spam. i want to install the human varification but can not find the code needed to be changed. are there different instuctions for this version?
Thanks,
Ryan
www.gypsylounge.com

Forum Index » Profile for gypsylounge » Messages posted by gypsylounge
Go to:   
Based on the open source JForum