If you are not registered or logged in, you may still use these forums but with limited features. Show recent topics
  [Search] Search   [Hottest Topics] Hottest Topics   [Members]  Member Listing   [FAQ]  FAQ 
[Register] Register / 
[Login] Login 
Messages posted by: fmon
Forum Index » Profile for fmon » Messages posted by fmon
Copied new files over old, didn't work. Then dicovered upgrade script in misc directory, ran it, didn't work!!

For some reason the $polvars[base_url] is not correct, every thing that needs it fails.!!!!

So, on another installation that needs an upgrade, we will leave it alone and look for a new poll script.
So, to upgrade you just copy new over old.?

By messing up I mean not working with the new version because table names, etc. might have changed; and conversion by an install script might be needed.

Frank
So, no one knows how to upgrade advanced poll from one revision to a newer one?

Realy only 2 ways, copy over the old files, or run install. How to do it without messing up the DB.

Frank
How do you install a new version of advanced poll, do you just copy the new files over the old? Anything else to do, other than re do your hacks and template mods.

Can the captcha be turned off?

Frank
Has anyone considered making comment posting part of the voting process. That would make comments possable only after voting and would have the benefit of flood control without adding changes to cookies or data base fields?
Found this, originaly for wordpress but useable with almost any php script, any experiance with it? It stops spambots.

http://www.homelandstupidity.us/software/bad-behavior/

looks interesting.
Does anyone have experiance with Nucleus, LifeType (pLog) or Serindipity.
Any good, problems?

how about geeklog

Thanks
I did the following, in the template for comments, i didn't bother with a counter, just a reminder to limit maximum lenght. In the textarea I put:

You could put the stuff in a function and provide a counter as in the examples in the links above. I tried to put the substring function in an "onsubmit" in the form tag but it did not work, anyone know why?

You also need to do something on the server side to prevent hacking around the html, I did this in comments.php after name and message are checked for input.

I am limiting message length to 1000 characters. So far seems to work well.[/code]
This is better

http://javascript.internet.com/forms/limit-textarea.html#source
I Think I have found an answer here, a js for the form that limits input to a textarea

http://javascript.internet.com/page-details/limit-characters-and-lines.html#source
I have searched for an answer but wave not found one. How can I set a maximum length for a comment in advnced poll. I know some inputs to a form take a maxlength=x but the textarea does not. Is there some PHP change I can do? Is there one built in? Limiting message length would help with spam etc.

thanks
Frank

Forum Index » Profile for fmon » Messages posted by fmon
Go to:   
Based on the open source JForum