If you are not registered or logged in, you may still use these forums but with limited features. Show recent topics
  [Search] Search   [Hottest Topics] Hottest Topics   [Members]  Member Listing   [FAQ]  FAQ 
[Register] Register / 
[Login] Login 
Messages posted by: Oh_Happy_Day
Forum Index » Profile for Oh_Happy_Day » Messages posted by Oh_Happy_Day
JC wrote:I found some useful tips but for us novices, it s always a problem because we never know where to put the lines of code and sometimes a simple semicolon makes things impossible to work but follow this link http://proxy2.de/forum/Advanced-Poll-Tips-and-Help-Links-5290.html , maybe you saw it already but that is the least we can do, we have to try and try until we get it right.

Thanks. You seem to be light years ahead of us. We still don't know where does the code go, and when, and how. And how do we get all that demo stuff to stop appearing on the home page.

JC wrote:Anyone knows of some manual that would be suitable for a complete beginner (like me)? I want to install a poll for a website that I am building but my knowledge of php is very little but i do know about html.

Hello JC, we are a start up nonprofit, and have the same situation you are experiencing.

In our case, our guy that was a techie, suffered a brain injury, so the word and accounting geeks are trying to step in the shoes of the tech geek and get this thing operating.

If your server has mysql database capability, you can create the database, then use Simple Scripts to install the complete program.

Where we have hit the wall is, how the program operates.

We have searched all over the internet looking for a novice's version of how to operate the program, or lay terms, how to get anything to appear on the web site. Nothing.
Carbonize wrote:The polls you are seeing are the demo polls to show you the various settings and functions.

Thank you for responding, but, we removed Advanced Poll from our site because none of have programming or coding, skills. We were unable to find any kind of basic step by step instructions, so, we conceded that Advance Poll was too advance for our html skills.

Thank you for the explanation.
Could use some insight on what I need to do differently.

Server: Ipower
mysql: 5.2
Install: Simple Scripts

1. Created a database for the poll.

2. Used Ipower's Simple Scripts to install Advanced Poll

3. Followed instructions to configure as follows:

Installation:

a. Open the configuration file 'config.inc.php' with a text editor and set up your database settings.

$POLLDB["dbName"] = "YourDBName";
$POLLDB["host"] = "localhost";
$POLLDB["user"] = "YourUsername";
$POLLDB["pass"] = "YourPassword";

b. Call the install script from your browser -> http://www.yourURL.com/poll/install.php (Looked all through the file and found nothing named script for me to enter the url)

4. Home page still has code on it and a link to install Advance Poll. http://www.fraudresearch.org/public_opinion/db/index.php

I created the database on my server and then installed the program ( v. 3.0.8 ) through Simple Scripts.

What I keep getting is an index page showing small boxes of surveys I never created asking questions about servers.

In the left column is jibberish that appears to be code or something. At the bottom of the page is a link state "Install Advanced Poll."

If you click on it, it takes you to Simple Scripts to install the program.

Forum Index » Profile for Oh_Happy_Day » Messages posted by Oh_Happy_Day
Go to:   
Based on the open source JForum