If you are not registered or logged in, you may still use these forums but with limited features. Show recent topics
  [Search] Search   [Hottest Topics] Hottest Topics   [Members]  Member Listing   [FAQ]  FAQ 
[Register] Register / 
[Login] Login 
Advanced Guestbook integration  XML
Forum Index » Support Forum
Joshua Clinard
Beginner

I've searched the forum, and could not find any suitable topics that answer my question. If I've overlooked a thread that has an answer, I apologize.

I've installed advanced guestbook, installation went smoothly. I'd like to integrate the guestbook into the current layout of my website. I have looked at the templates, and while they are nice, I'd really like to have the guestbook use my current theme.

Can someone tell me the php code that I should use to install the gustbook into my html files.

I'd also like to be able to add some other questions to the guestbook, and to import the current guestbook entries from guestgear into this new guestbook. Can someone tell me how to do this.

Thanks for the help.
Jared
Student

Wow that is quite a lot for a first request.

I will try and answer your questions.

First of all the templates are garbage. I stripped them clean except for key javascript elements. I then wrapped the "escaped" html along with my global template includes around index.php, addentry.php and comment.php. This works perfect, as I am a very lazy webmaster, and feel that a complete website update should only be done by editing 2 to 3 files max.

adding other questions is a little bit more tricky. I added another question and that was Graduation Year. ( I did this because it is an Alumni website)
Also I added the much needed Yahoo and MSN option fields. This requires multiple files to be edited as well as the database structure.
you can see my addentry here http://www.avianosaints.com/guests_and_friends/addentry.php

Importing all of your preivous entries from your guestbook is a little time consuming because this guestbook uses the Unix timestamp for the dates.

You will have to use a Unix timestamp convertor to edit the dates to reflect the ones in your current guestbook. For a good resource on this go to this website

http://storm.esm.rochester.edu/noah/unixtimestamp.htm

other things that I have done, is added the much needed anti-Spam feature. All my emails that are displayed in the guestbook get converted to Raw ASCII in the html source code, so as Spam Bots can not extract them. In Fact I have a Spam trap on all pages of my website that is dynamic. The spiders can pull millions of bogus emails from my site if they wish. It is just a hidden link at the bottom of each page that is not linked. Although I seem to get tons of traffic to it from Bots

email me if you need help
[WWW] [Yahoo!] [MSN]
Joshua Clinard
Beginner

While it is nice to know that all this can be done, what you have posted does not really help me with what I am trying to do. It would be more helpful to tell me what I have to do.

I am not really interested in the e-mail scambler. I just want the php code that will actually make the guestbook work.

Thanks for trying.
Jared
Student

I did tell you what you needed to do. Maybe you just were not reading it.

I told you you need to wrap "escaped" html around your index.php addentry.php and comment.php

and that you need to edit the database and most of the files if you want to add other questions.

I would have to write a book if I were to post it here.

Wrapping the html is something that is simple to do. If you can write html, then you should have no problem with this one. If you can only use an editor like frontpage or something, well sorry.
example of escaped html
[WWW] [Yahoo!] [MSN]
Joshua Clinard
Beginner

Hi again. I was never able to get the guestbook working all those months ago, so I just gave up, and went on to other projects. Now I'm back to this one again, and this time, I won't give up. The first time, I didn't understand what you meant by wrapping escaping html. Does it mean that I just have to take my layout html and put it at the top and bottom of the files you mentioned? If so, I can do that, but then what do I do with the templates? Thanks for the help with everything else.

Forum Index » Support Forum
Go to:   
Based on the open source JForum