If you are not registered or logged in, you may still use these forums but with limited features. Show recent topics
  [Search] Search   [Hottest Topics] Hottest Topics   [Members]  Member Listing   [FAQ]  FAQ 
[Register] Register / 
[Login] Login 
advance poll  XML
Forum Index » Support Forum
Anonymous

No defensive.. just making note of your start of your message..

"ermm....kinda a stupid question rly, everything " that is not a good way to start off.. indicating that others aren't with the program.

Never the less, I understand fully the differences, I'm saying CAN IT WORK? being inserted into an htm file? that's what I'm trying to find out, I have tried several methods and none work.

The author doesn't support this application, so I'm not going pay the 15 bucks.. I have over 300 customers and look for various methods to provide new things, surverys and such to my clients, but have to know they will want to work with their htm and things along those lines.
fove
Beginner
[Avatar]

Lol that wasn't my post, I merely agreed. Anyhow, there is no way a php code can work in a .html or .htm file. The various extentions are there for a reason. However php files are no different to html files so I don't see the problem of using them. You only have to rename them.
If you are not willing to pay for php hosting then you should look for a free provider.

fove
Wendy
[Email] [WWW] aim icon [MSN]
Anonymous

I'm new to PHP myself and agree that there are no stupid questions. And I think some of these answers are a little rude to newbies like myself. I am used to Perl but just learning PHP.

I had the same problem as others here. I also use Dreamweaver and am using htm as an extension.

Can I change ONLY the pages that I am putting the poll on to php and leave the index as htm? I don't see why not. I will try it but thought I'd run it by the pros here.

Anyone?
xenzap
Beginner
[Avatar]

Yes, you need to rename the page where you place the php code to .php, but you don't have to rename all the .html files, just the one where you put the poll.

If you are being hosted, and you want to put the poll on the first page, ask your server admin to put index.php AND index.html into your default document settings.

There are no stupid questions, I agree!

Xenzap
Anonymous

When i go to install advanced poll 2.0 using mysql, i get a query error and it says the file poll config has already been created...what do i do?
Anonymous

Dreamweaver does not show the poll when you view the browser from your desktop. The file has to be saved as .php (unlike with Perl/CGI scripts) and uploaded to your server in order to view the poll.

The code for each poll can be found here:

- Poll List
- Click the Text icon under Stats for the poll that you want to use

Copy and paste the code for the poll into your HTML code. The top part (<?php ...) goes in the Header before <HTML>.

The part after <body> is the actual poll code and is inserted wherever you want the poll to appear on the page.

Hope this helps.

~ Dawn
Auron
Expert
[Avatar]

Hey guys here's a question for ya....

If HTML works in a file with the extension .HTML or .HTM

then....

PHP will work in a file with the extension .PHP ???

and...

You've got PHP code in a file with the extentsion .HTML or .HTM then it won't work!!! You need to change it to .PHP for it to work. Another major factor is that PHP won't just work in your browser like HTML. HTML is parsed by the browser, and PHP code is parsed and executed by a separate script interpreter engine thingy and then the results are sent to the browser. Try this great place :: http://www.php.net/

The principle here is that the PHP code is embedded in the HTML code. This means all you have to do is change the files extension to .PHP and add the relevant bits of PHP code inbetween these tags <?php ...code goes here... and ?> The rest of the file can be just normal HTML. Read this for more info :: http://proxy2.de/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2067 ::

Auron

Visit my site @ www.ragnaru.com
Adv. Poll Install Guide NOW BACK ONLINE! (And also rather out of date I would of thought)
[Email] [WWW]

Forum Index » Support Forum
Go to:   
Based on the open source JForum