If you are not registered or logged in, you may still use these forums but with limited features. Show recent topics
  [Search] Search   [Hottest Topics] Hottest Topics   [Members]  Member Listing   [FAQ]  FAQ 
[Register] Register / 
[Login] Login 
Email notification of new entries to GuestBook  XML
Forum Index » Support Forum
mastersmurfie
Beginner

Hi all. I have searched and thought I found an answer to my problem, but, alas to no avail.

I seem to have a problem getting email notification that someone has signed my guestbook (Advanced Guestbook 2.3.1)

I have no problems with receiving the "Thank you" for signing the guestbook, but cannot figure out for the life of me what I need to change for the email notifications to be sent to me.

If it helps any, I'm on Yahoo...and I saw a post on here that talks about changing the address in the "add.class.php", but maybe this is not what I'm looking for...I changed this value, and still have no notification that the guestbook has been signed.

any and all help will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

mastersmurfie
Anonymous

Error 554 RLY:FA

554 RLY:FA
http://postmaster.info.aol.com/errors/554rlyfa.html
EXPLANATION:

Am having exactly the same problem as you. My E-mail is through AOL. The Guestbook server apparently does not put in the notification E-mail a valid address for itself. See info below. Maybe AOL server rejects back to the Sender Server the E-mail guestbook notification messages because there is something wrong/missing in the "FROM" address; but I don't know how to fix it. Hope somebody out there can help us both!

All or part of the from address contained in your message is missing or improperly formatted.

SOLUTION:

Please correct the message "From: address" sent in your SMTP transaction. The from address is typically formatted as myEmailHere@my-Domain.com. You may need to contact your ISP or server administrator for additional assistance.

For additional troubleshooting, reference the manual telnet directions. The message From: address is included after the DATA command.
JTD
Graduate

This is what it should look like in your admin/general options click the link to see screenshot. With your email addy ofcourse.
http://www.ravenprom.org/kull/email.jpg

LINK-> Use Lazarus Guestbook
[WWW] [Yahoo!] aim icon [MSN]
mastersmurfie
Beginner

JTD wrote:This is what it should look like in your admin/general options click the link to see screenshot. With your email addy ofcourse.
http://www.ravenprom.org/kull/email.jpg

JTD...I cannot see your pic...says "Page cannot be displayed"

EDIT: I can see it now...

if it's what I think it is, in my "admin/general options" I have the address that I want notifications emailed to...the address is "valid" as I can send email to it from other applications...
mastersmurfie
Beginner

for what its worth...My mailerror log says:

2004 Jul 12 02:12:36 From address not in member domain. Message not sent.

I don't understand this...thought I changed all that I could...

where can I find the "from" address?????
Carbonize
Master
[Avatar]

Mine used to send it from something stupid and not the email i specified. I manually changed mine in lib/add.class.php.

look for

and replace <".$this->name."> $from_email with the email address you want them sent from. Mine looks like this

Carbonize
I am not the maker of the Advanced Guestbook

get Lazarus
[Email] [WWW] [Yahoo!] aim icon [MSN] [ICQ]
mastersmurfie
Beginner

Carbonize wrote:
and replace <".$this->name."> $from_email with the email address you want them sent from. Mine looks like this

@Carbonize

Thanks!! Works perfectly!!

I guess that was the place I didn't look...

thanks again,

mastersmurfie
Anonymous

Carbonize wrote:Mine used to send it from something stupid and not the email i specified. I manually changed mine in lib/add.class.php.

look for

My Profound thanks. I made the changes in the lib/add.class.php file and the automatic E-mail notification to me works perfectly now. Actually, the changes had to be made on two lines -- the one you showed was for the "public" portion of the Guestbook -- but the code for the Private section of the guestbook entry E-mail notification also must be identically changed.
Carbonize
Master
[Avatar]

Yeah I should of said. I turned off private messages a long time ago so forgot all about it.

Carbonize
I am not the maker of the Advanced Guestbook

get Lazarus
[Email] [WWW] [Yahoo!] aim icon [MSN] [ICQ]

Forum Index » Support Forum
Go to:   
Based on the open source JForum