If you are not registered or logged in, you may still use these forums but with limited features. Show recent topics
  [Search] Search   [Hottest Topics] Hottest Topics   [Members]  Member Listing   [FAQ]  FAQ 
[Register] Register / 
[Login] Login 
The future  XML
Forum Index » General Discussion
Carbonize
Master
[Avatar]

Ok I have come to a decision so I thought I better make it public. I am currently working on Advanced Guestbook 2.4 and a smart installer to add extra fields and options, fix exploits and bring some of the code upto date. My decision is this, after I release Advanced Guestbook 2.4 I will not be working on the Advanced Guestbook anymore in any way shape nor form except to fix any possible bugs I put in 2.4. This means I will not be writing any more modifications nor patching exploits unless I made the exploit possible. While I work on the Advanced Guestbook I will never get the credit for it as I am just building on anothers work. So instead I will be starting work on my own guestbook which I admit will be heavily influenced by the Advanced Guestbook. I doubt I will be adding AGcode nor image uploading. I will be trying to add a lot of the functionality that has been requested in these forums though. Anti Spam will be high in my list of priorities along with ease of fitting it into a website. If you have any ideas for what you would like to see in a guestbook then feel free to post them in the forum on my site. Once I start work I will, in all probability, be leaving this forum as I am fed up of the lack of moderation and the lack of input from the webmaster.

Carbonize
I am not the maker of the Advanced Guestbook

get Lazarus
[Email] [WWW] [Yahoo!] aim icon [MSN] [ICQ]
nuka

Carbonize wrote:Ok I have come to a decision so I thought I better make it public. I am currently working on Advanced Guestbook 2.4 and a smart installer to add extra fields and options, fix exploits and bring some of the code upto date. My decision is this, after I release Advanced Guestbook 2.4 I will not be working on the Advanced Guestbook anymore in any way shape nor form except to fix any possible bugs I put in 2.4. This means I will not be writing any more modifications nor patching exploits unless I made the exploit possible. While I work on the Advanced Guestbook I will never get the credit for it as I am just building on anothers work. So instead I will be starting work on my own guestbook which I admit will be heavily influenced by the Advanced Guestbook. I doubt I will be adding AGcode nor image uploading. I will be trying to add a lot of the functionality that has been requested in these forums though. Anti Spam will be high in my list of priorities along with ease of fitting it into a website. If you have any ideas for what you would like to see in a guestbook then feel free to post them in the forum on my site. Once I start work I will, in all probability, be leaving this forum as I am fed up of the lack of moderation and the lack of input from the webmaster.

Hi Carbonize,
I am new to this forum,just signed up but over the last days I have been reading some of your posts & have came to the conclusion that you are a very helpful person to have in this forum & think the webmaster should realize that. I totally agree with your feelings in the above post & hope you don't leave but if you do also hope you will make maybe your own forum because from what I have read a lot of people need your help on different issues including myself lol. I wrote you an email a few days ago before I knew this forum existed & have resolved the problem I had with the advanced guestbook... well at least one of them. In the new guestbook you are making I would like to see it made in such a way that you can upload pictures & the way the guestbook looks can be edited without a lot of trouble to fit the persons website. I was never clear on editing advanced guestbook 2.3.1 because no one has said to edit a certain guestbook file it must first be downloaded to your computer etc. I did manage to edit mine by making the html page I wanted for the header & then naming it header.php & finnally uploading it to my server & overwriting the old file. Anyway I have added you to my msn contacts & hope thats ok & wish you well.

Kind Regards,
nuka

"An eye for an eye making the world go blind"
[WWW] [MSN]
frankdon
Beginner

Thanks a lot for your work, you should put google adsense code in your website, so you can earn money. because so many people see your website.
FOR guestbook, i want it to have this kind of function, if i copy something from word, or excel, it can be shown in guestbook after i submit still the same style as it is in word or exel.
ET
Graduate

Carbonize wrote: My decision is this, after I release Advanced Guestbook 2.4 I will not be working on the Advanced Guestbook anymore in any way shape nor form except to fix any possible bugs I put in 2.4. This means I will not be writing any more modifications nor patching exploits unless I made the exploit possible.

Sounds logical to me. I know that your attention to the guestbook on this forum has been appreciated by the masses - but when the demand turns into a full-time job, that's a bit much!

Obviously, the webmaster has other projects and sees little reason to jump in when there are so many very nice people like yourself who are willing to volunteer.

Be well
rocket rabbit
Beginner

Well whatever you decide to do, your efforts with this thing so far have been appreciated by a lot of people.
frankdon
Beginner

hi, when will it be finished? thanks.
white owl

be sure to let us know where you go - your new forum - hopefully. you have been wonderful, and so many are grateful.

thanks from me,
white owl
lloyd_borrett
Beginner
[Avatar]

G'day Carbonize,

If you are going to support theme templates as a part of your new version of Advanced Guestbook, I'd be happy to produce a new AG template along the lines of my current live version. (See http://www.borrett.id.au/guestbook/.)

My version is based on the phpBB subSilver theme.

Best Regards, Lloyd.
[Email] [WWW] [Yahoo!] [MSN]
Delia_35
Beginner

I'd love a guestbook where I can have the option of approving posts *before* they are actually posted online. Like, when someone posts, the messages gets put in a queue or something so I can edit or reject posts before other people see them. This would be great for family-friendly sites.
Carbonize
Master
[Avatar]

Delia_35 wrote:I'd love a guestbook where I can have the option of approving posts *before* they are actually posted online. Like, when someone posts, the messages gets put in a queue or something so I can edit or reject posts before other people see them. This would be great for family-friendly sites.

Yes I have already discussed this in depth with another person. I pointed out that it would require some serious coding time and given that the guestbook is free and we are volunteers it's not going to happen unless either I get very bored or get a client who requests it.

Carbonize

get Lazarus
Auron
Expert
[Avatar]

Delia_35 wrote:I'd love a guestbook where I can have the option of approving posts *before* they are actually posted online. Like, when someone posts, the messages gets put in a queue or something so I can edit or reject posts before other people see them. This would be great for family-friendly sites.

i've thought of a fairly quick and dirty way of doing it.
i'll post my idea later, this does not mean i know how to implement it!

Visit my site @ www.ragnaru.com
Adv. Poll Install Guide NOW BACK ONLINE! (And also rather out of date I would of thought)
[Email] [WWW]
Carbonize
Master
[Avatar]

I already have a quick and dirty way of doing it that would involve removing the private messaging function and using that. To implement it as an extra feature is simple in theory (ie add an extra field to the table) but it's the yes/no code plus the rewrite of the display code used on the index page. They usually want it to they get an email sent to them when a new post ismade and then they have two links in the email to say yes or no. I'd personally make them login to check for posts awaiting moderation as it's more secure and I think given that the script is free they should be grateful. The last guy who requested it has since installed a different guestbook and ended uppaying something like $70 for the guestbook and customisation.

Carbonize

get Lazarus
Auron
Expert
[Avatar]

not sure if you mentioned the way i thought so i'll post it anyway.

just add a field to the table yes/no.
when someone posts the field is set to no.
when someone views the guestbook only posts with the field set to yes will be displayed (just a little extra SQL).
admin area has a little option box / tick box to allow the post to be viewed.

the admin bit requires the most work, the rest is fairly easy.

Visit my site @ www.ragnaru.com
Adv. Poll Install Guide NOW BACK ONLINE! (And also rather out of date I would of thought)
[Email] [WWW]
Carbonize
Master
[Avatar]

Yes I did. As I said it would require a rewrite of the dispay entries function as well as the add entry and admin sections.

Carbonize

get Lazarus
ayers

hi! im new hir...

just wana ask question...ano poh benefits dito sa proxy2.de...?

ty tyty

i'm here...
[WWW] [Yahoo!]

Forum Index » General Discussion
Go to:   
Based on the open source JForum