If you are not registered or logged in, you may still use these forums but with limited features. Show recent topics
  [Search] Search   [Hottest Topics] Hottest Topics   [Members]  Member Listing   [FAQ]  FAQ 
[Register] Register / 
[Login] Login 
MySQL password handling changes  XML
Forum Index » Support Forum
lloyd_borrett
Beginner
[Avatar]

G'day there,

Yesterday I upgraded my test system (Windows XP and IIS) from MySQL 4.0.18 to 4.1.7.

Suddenly I could not access Advanced Guestbook or phpBB. It turns out the later versions of MySQL handle database passwords differently. There are instructions on how to overcome this on the MySQL web site.

But even when I could access the databases and Advanced Guestbook was running again, I still couldn't logon as the guestbook administrator.

Jam'n's methods of using phpMyAdmin to reset the admin password also wouldn't work. The values given for the various passwords are based on the old MySQL password method. Different values are required for the new MySQL password method.

Fortunately, the reset.php script from Carbonize did work. Many thanks mate.

Best Regards, Lloyd.
[Email] [WWW] [Yahoo!] [MSN]
Anonymous

Yep - the upgrades are a good thing, but can catch us off guard if we are relying on old information - So keeping current backups of the MySQL tables along with the new password code in a separate textfile helps with this too... Thanks for letting us know that Carbonize's savior password-reset script works with the upgrade
Auron
Expert
[Avatar]

He said wouldn't work.

Visit my site @ www.ragnaru.com
Adv. Poll Install Guide NOW BACK ONLINE! (And also rather out of date I would of thought)
[Email] [WWW]
Carbonize
Master
[Avatar]

Auron wrote:He said wouldn't work.
huh what? Oh right. Anyway I originally made the reset script just insert the original data from the install back into the username and password but then someone reported the encryption change in the passoword function. So now my reset script lets you specify a username and password by editing the script and then gets MySQL to encrypt the password so it will be correct for your MySQL version. Bloody annoying thing to change though

I have to keep stopping work on AG 2.4 as I keep having to go back and change things due to updates like this. So far I have converted all the old $http_xxx_xxx style arrays into the newer $_POST etc, I have also rewritten the get_template function but thats just to test something.

Carbonize
I am not the maker of the Advanced Guestbook

get Lazarus
[Email] [WWW] [Yahoo!] aim icon [MSN] [ICQ]
Anonymous

lloyd_borrett wrote:
Fortunately, the reset.php script from Carbonize did work. Many thanks mate.

Auron
Expert
[Avatar]

Well his post did say didn't work.
But now it sez it does.

Visit my site @ www.ragnaru.com
Adv. Poll Install Guide NOW BACK ONLINE! (And also rather out of date I would of thought)
[Email] [WWW]
Carbonize
Master
[Avatar]

Ah the joys of editing posts. I modded my version of phpBB so that you cannot edit a post if it has been replied to . God I would love access to this server. I'd mod this forum with the image verification from 2.0.11 and the no edit after reply. I would also delete all the bloody spam from the forum membership and guestbook.

ps. The webmaster must still work on this site as the guestbook has had a recent change (no longer does email encrypting and email links are messed up) and the Advanced Guestbook script has been altered as I redownloaded it and a file compare with my own version showed the addition of some lines to prevent the recent uri exploit.

Carbonize
I am not the maker of the Advanced Guestbook

get Lazarus
[Email] [WWW] [Yahoo!] aim icon [MSN] [ICQ]

Forum Index » Support Forum
Go to:   
Based on the open source JForum