If you are not registered or logged in, you may still use these forums but with limited features. Show recent topics
  [Search] Search   [Hottest Topics] Hottest Topics   [Members]  Member Listing   [FAQ]  FAQ 
[Register] Register / 
[Login] Login 
#1 spammed guestbook  XML
Forum Index » General Discussion
lloyd_borrett
Beginner
[Avatar]

It's not something I'm proud of, but my Advanced Guestbook has been under constant attack for months now. Yesterday alone, I cleaned out some 500 spam comment entries alone.

I tried to implement Carbonize's human verification mod way back when, but had problems and didn't have any time to work on sorting them out. (My implementation is pretty modified.) And moving to the new version of Advanced Guestbook from Carbonize would take me even longer.

What I've found is that even with HTML and AGCode dissabled, they find a way of getting their non-working link details into the comments and guestbook entries.

Using the censor words like:
http://
href=
url=
does help as a deterent because it makes even those sort of entries look pretty meaningless.

Because I get so many spam entires, I find the easiest way to clean them out is to use phpMyAdmin to locate and delete them from the book_com and book_data tables.

It's obvious that these spammers put a fair bit of effort into doing it. What I fail to understand is how they think it will really benefit them.

Best Regards, Lloyd.
[Email] [WWW] [Yahoo!] [MSN]
Carbonize
Master
[Avatar]

Welcome back to the real world Lloyd. What it does is get their links out there. It's like phishing emails. They send out thousands knowing only a few will get clicked but it only takes a few to make them money. BTW I rewrote the instructions for the Human Verification to make it easier to implement, even for an Australian.

Carbonize
I am not the maker of the Advanced Guestbook

get Lazarus
[Email] [WWW] [Yahoo!] aim icon [MSN] [ICQ]
lloyd_borrett
Beginner
[Avatar]

They were easy to follow, and I did so meticulously. But I got errors everywhere and had to switch back.

Probably something to do with all of the changes I'd made previously.

Regards, Lloyd.
[Email] [WWW] [Yahoo!] [MSN]

Forum Index » General Discussion
Go to:   
Based on the open source JForum