If you are not registered or logged in, you may still use these forums but with limited features. Show recent topics
  [Search] Search   [Hottest Topics] Hottest Topics   [Members]  Member Listing   [FAQ]  FAQ 
[Register] Register / 
[Login] Login 
Image Verification issue!  XML
Forum Index » Advanced Guestbook Forum
MiC
Beginner

Hey there,
Im having a major problem with some internet terrorists destroying my guestbook. Started with a few each day and now we'r up to a few hundred each day. So i finally decided to do something about it and started googling for "Advanced Guestbook phpbb spam". I always managed to return on this website and found many topics related to my problem.

I found your image verification tool and tried implementing it. Only all the instructions werent matching my files so after hitting my head to concrete wall for several minutes i discovered that there are 2 groups that made a phpbb mod called "Advanced Guestbook" and obviously i was using a different one then this. Im using one created by Dreamy and Kooky. Not sure if you guys are related to eachother but after clicking on their fantastic homepage i reached a dead end for its all in french and they appearantly havent heard of the word "support" yet. Though i shouldnt whine cause its free.

Anyway to cut a long and boring story short. I am in desperate need of some specifc help regarding your image verifcation addon for my beloved guestbook.. As you can see i implemented it completely into my forum and thats why im not swopping over to your Advanced Guestbook version casue i wont ever get it integrated as niceley as it is now.

Please i beg you, all i need is a box at my add entry page thats asking for a verification code befor they can post to stop the spam pirates. My googling skills are letting me down and im getting butt-raped in every phpbb support channel with the "we dont do 3rd party support" ammo.

Thanks in advance!!
Carbonize
Master
[Avatar]

Update to version 2.4.1 of Advanced Guestbook as image verification is now built in.

Carbonize
I am not the maker of the Advanced Guestbook

get Lazarus
[Email] [WWW] [Yahoo!] aim icon [MSN] [ICQ]
MiC
Beginner

:'(

If you had read my story you would know that im using a different version. And if you had visited my guestbook you would see that updating the guestbook to a completely different one will take more time and frustrating (implementing it) again then adding a simple image verification on my current version.
Auron
Expert
[Avatar]

too bad, the image verfication mod is for advanced guestbook only - the one found on this site.

Visit my site @ www.ragnaru.com
Adv. Poll Install Guide NOW BACK ONLINE! (And also rather out of date I would of thought)
[Email] [WWW]
Carbonize
Master
[Avatar]

Ah yes yo umean the modified version that works with phpBB. The one they were stupid enough to call 2.4 rather than a totally different name. You would have to contact them about it.

Carbonize

get Lazarus
MiC
Beginner

:'(

No way someone can customize the script for my version? Im willing to pay $ to get it fixed ;x Shouldnt be much work.
Carbonize
Master
[Avatar]

Shouldn't be but you'd be suprised. I have customised this guestbook for people before where they were using versions customised for such things as OS Commerce. It takes a while as you have to walk through the code to see what changes have been made and how it works.

Carbonize

get Lazarus
visitor
Beginner

Auron wrote:too bad, the image verfication mod is for advanced guestbook only - the one found on this site.

You can add (CAPTCHA) to most scripts, I didnt want to update any of my old scripts, so added image verfication to them.

Search Google for CAPTCHA

Then on any script

Find where it checks for email address, or comment, or name etc

and add it
Carbonize
Master
[Avatar]

Takes a bit more than that. Anyway I have sorted it.

Carbonize

get Lazarus
visitor
Beginner

Carbonize wrote:Takes a bit more than that. Anyway I have sorted it.

Well thats exactly from one of my scripts, so it dont take anymore adding it to any script, the "include" is the CAPATCHA code

http://www.captcha.net/

http://captchas.net/sample/php/

http://www.neoprogrammers.com/download.php?file=securimage.zip
Carbonize
Master
[Avatar]

Unless the image generates the random characters based upon the IP of the poster you would need to add some identifying marker to both the image tag and as a hidden input in the form. You also have to edit the form to display the image and have an input for the image code.

Carbonize

get Lazarus

Forum Index » Advanced Guestbook Forum
Go to:   
Based on the open source JForum