If you are not registered or logged in, you may still use these forums but with limited features. Show recent topics
  [Search] Search   [Hottest Topics] Hottest Topics   [Members]  Member Listing   [FAQ]  FAQ 
[Register] Register / 
[Login] Login 
Kubikus/Gavroniy  XML
Forum Index » Advanced Guestbook Forum
Trucoto
Beginner

I see in your own guestbook that you have the same spammer I have. That's the one I think it's not manually entered, and that somehow could skip automatically the captchas. If you search for it in Google (http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&safe=off&q=kubikus+Gavroniy++&btnG=Search), you'll see that he attacks every Advanced Guestbook in the net, he worked it out. Any thoughts?
Carbonize
Master
[Avatar]

I don't see it and yes there are people who manually enter spam.

If he is persistant you could log the complete details of every entry to see if they are bypassing it or not.

Carbonize
I am not the maker of the Advanced Guestbook

get Lazarus
[Email] [WWW] [Yahoo!] aim icon [MSN] [ICQ]
Trucoto
Beginner

He is indeed persistent, and as far as I can see it, he is persistent with many other Advance Guestbook users. How to log the details?
Trucoto
Beginner

Carbonize, I count eight of this kind of entries in this very site guestbook today... do you still think it's manually entered? How to get rid of this?
Carbonize
Master
[Avatar]

If you have image verification turned on then they must be manually entered. Or he has written an advanced program to read the image but I doubt that. Is the content of his posts always the same? I could post my mod for blocking posts containing bad words rather than replacing the bad words.

Carbonize

get Lazarus
Trucoto
Beginner

Well, they are very similar among them, though not exactly equal. Take a look at your own guestbook (http://proxy2.de/guestbook/)! You have ten of them already, and still counting. I doubt a single person could enter in the same day ten in your guestbook, ten in my guestbook and ten in God knows how many more among those of us who use Advance Guestbook. Unless the damn Gaveroniy from Senegal has an army of spammers ready to solve manually captchas just to screw our lives...
Carbonize
Master
[Avatar]

They haven't posted in my guestbook My site is www.carbonize.co.uk

Email me and I will give you a simple mod to make to log all posts so I can see what is sent.

Carbonize

get Lazarus
Trucoto
Beginner

Though Gaveroniy still didn't show up today, some other spammers did (the number of spammers passing the captcha protection increases every day, as I can see). In the log (http://seikilos.com.ar/guestbook/postdata.txt) I don't see anything wrong; clearly there are a lot of spammers who were stopped by the captchas, and a few that didn't. The ones that passed through expectedly wrote what the captcha was asking, we don't know whether that was manually entered or discovered with sophisticated software. Two questions:
1) Is there any way to stop this kind of spam by filtering post by keywords (phentermine, etc.)?
2) Changing to Lazarus would be of any benefit in this regard? What's the cost (migration from 2.4.1, etc.)?
Carbonize
Master
[Avatar]

1 - Yes. I wrote a mod somewhere in this forum. Was it in this thread ? Or was it in an email.

2 - Maybe. Lazarus has several anti spam layers. The cost is how ever long it takes you to download Lazarus, copy the database information over, upload Lazarus and run the update script.

If doing 2 please back up both your database and guestbook files first. better safe than sorry.

Carbonize

get Lazarus

Forum Index » Advanced Guestbook Forum
Go to:   
Based on the open source JForum