If you are not registered or logged in, you may still use these forums but with limited features. Show recent topics
  [Search] Search   [Hottest Topics] Hottest Topics   [Members]  Member Listing   [FAQ]  FAQ 
[Register] Register / 
[Login] Login 
Advanced Guestbook: Custom questions?  XML
Forum Index » Support Forum
VZey

How do I customize the questions please?

I want to add a new one that isn't there, and I can't find any documentation...

Thanks
Digr

I would like to add customized questions to my guestbook too. But I see no one has answered this person's question since it was posted 2 years ago. Doesn't anyone have the answer? Or if it has already been answered in another thread, can someone please give me the link to the thread? I would very much like to know how to add custom questions to my Advanced Guestbook.

Browser & Security Info, Free Software, & Links to Answers about Life & God.
http://brentsplace.us/
[WWW]
amber222
Graduate

If we're talking about Advanced Guestbook, I am not sure what you mean when you say add questions... do you perhaps mean add some fields to the guestbook's signing form? Where name, email, location, etc. are?
Carbonize
Master
[Avatar]

Hmmm shouldn't be to hard. Just a case of editting the Yahoo/msn mod that I have from Jared I guess.

Carbonize
I am not the maker of the Advanced Guestbook

get Lazarus
[Email] [WWW] [Yahoo!] aim icon [MSN] [ICQ]
amber222
Graduate

I added fields manually. It was fairly easy.

So, Carbonize, are you planning on coming up with an automated way to do it?
Carbonize
Master
[Avatar]

It would require some serious recoding to allow you to add fields via the admin. I was just thinking of using the Yahoo/MSN mods by Jared as it would only require editting the text fields and then you could switch it on and off via the admin.

To be honest I am looking at putting together a version of AG 2.3.1 which would include the Yahoo/MSN, Image verification and Lloyds country selector as standard with the option to turn them on and off via the admin section. Don't hold your breathe though as I work 12 hour shifts and this will involve a bit of time. That and it's subjective to what Chi Kien Uong says about my releasing it.

Carbonize

get Lazarus
Digr

Yeah, I meant adding fields. Mine are going to be in the form of questions. Any of you have the code for the Yahoo/MSN add-on you'd be willing to email me? The site given in this forum that had all the mods is gone.

It may be easy for you - are you familiar with php?, but I've spent all evening duplicating code where I see it for the name, location, etc, for my new fields, and replacing the names for the fields or tables with the names of the tables I created for my new fields...

..and not knowing a thing about php, I still can't get the entries to show in either the preview or the guestbook, even though I added tables for them in the config, data, and private sections of the database, with myphpadmin, and was able to get the new fields to show in the entry form.

[WWW]
amber222
Graduate

It may be easy for you - are you familiar with php?, but I've spent all evening duplicating code where I see it for the name, location, etc, for my new fields, and replacing the names for the fields or tables with the names of the tables I created for my new fields...

I don't know php - I never even heard of it until a couple of months ago. Also, I don't know what I was thinking when I posted that.

I should say that the first part seemed easy. It looked good on the addentry form, anyway. Problem is I forgot about several issues!

So I did add 5 fields, they show up on the addentry.php, the preview and the guestbook. I added these fields to the data table, also. But I still need to find the code to have the input for these fields show up in the guestbook.

I edited the following files:

addentry.php
form.php
entry.php
preview_entry.php
english.php
add_class.php

I am working with a "test" guestbook at http://www.thepraisegates.net/guestbook/index.php

I am just playing around with this and have no real need for it. If you are not in a rush I suggest you wait for Carbonize's mod.

If you are in a rush, maybe we can talk someone reading this to take up where I left off.
Carbonize
Master
[Avatar]

Ok what form are these extra inputs going to take and how will they appear in the guestbook? The appearance is hard coded into a file which is why allowing users to add their own fields is tricky. The Yahoo and MSN mod outputs an image as a link.

Carbonize

get Lazarus
Digr

In my case, they'll be in the form of questions. Carbonize, do you have the code for the Yahoo/MSN mod you mentioned? And if so, could you please email it to me? If it'll make adding custom fields possible for a php newbie like me, I'm eager to get ahold of it.

By the way, how is one suposed to find mods for Advanced Guestbook? The only search results I got were entries in people's Advanced Guestbooks mentioning mods, but no links to mods specifically for Advanced Guestbook.

[WWW]
Carbonize
Master
[Avatar]

I only have the mods as part of a complete 2.3.1 fileset. I will try and go through them so I can make it into a mod for people to add.

Carbonize

get Lazarus
Jam'n
Graduate
[Avatar]

There already mods out there.
You can get them here.

Mod to add Yahoo and MSN to the guestbook 2.3.1
download here

Mod to add a e-mail spider block and masking agent to the guestbook 2.3.1
download here

Mod to add ICQ online status to the guestbook 2.3.1
download here

Mod to add human verification to the guestbook 2.3.1.
With this option the user has to enter a code to post.
download here

Mod to add human verification to the guestbook 2.2 and 2.3.1.
With this option the user has to enter a code to post.
Download this if you have a modified version of the guestbook.
download here

Jam'n

------------------------------------------------

Only the man who's truly educated
understands that he knows very little...

[WWW]
Carbonize
Master
[Avatar]

verification.zip, that sounds familiar.

Carbonize

get Lazarus
Jam'n
Graduate
[Avatar]

It should these mods already excist for almost 1,5 years

Jam'n

Only the man who's truly educated
understands that he knows very little...

[WWW]
Carbonize
Master
[Avatar]

Funny, I only remember releasing the image verification mod a month or two ago.

You will also note that your two verification mods are actually the same mod but what you call verification2.zip is the latest release with bug fixes and better instructions.

Carbonize

get Lazarus

Forum Index » Support Forum
Go to:   
Based on the open source JForum